Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Congrats

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
[Double-posting on purpose for those that may not have been subscribed to the voting thread...]

First off, congrats to Xx_Black-out. :clap:
Very nice shot, and in a very cool location. :cheers:

Early on, I took this on as a contest to see how quickly I could identify where each of the photos were taken. Some are pretty obvious, but others could only be known by someone that has seen a LOT of that territory. I had it narrowed down within the first day or two, and have been biting my tongue this whole time...

As it turned out, my initial read of all but one of them was correct....not that I had it misplaced....I simply wasn't sure (that was #9). For all of the others though, I simply went (in Google Maps - Earth-View) to the place I thought they were taken, and confirmed it.

For your entertainment, the info below points out where they were taken (these aren't 'secret' locations. So, I know I can't be giving away anything critical or hurting anyone. I think this is just fun, and now that the contest is over, I'm not interfering with that in any way either).

For each one, I included links to Google Maps Sat-View and Google Maps Earth-perspective. The Sat-View shows the apx. spot where the photo was taken, and the Earth perspective shows the view from apx. that spot, looking in the same direction as the camera in the photo (in some cases, you have to move it around a bit, because the link doesn't preserve the exact spot I put the view in when I saved the link).

#1 - Red Mountain Pass
This one was taken at a roadside spot along the highway that goes over Red Mountain Pass. Specifically, this is just south of the main bunch of north-side switchbacks, and just north of the summit of Red Mountain Pass. This particular spot is on the east side of the highway, between a couple ponds, and just south of the turn for County Road 31 (which goes of to the east).
Google Maps Sat-View (looking down on the FJC's parking spot)
Google Maps Street-View (though you can't really see it very well from here, because it's behind a bit of a hump, this is pointed at the spot where the FJC was sitting for the photo)
Google Earth perspective

The funny thing is that, when I first saw the photo, this place actually popped into my mind, immediately. I knew I had seen this place before, because I always remember that steep hillside with trees on it on the left side in this contest photo. Also, just to make sure you know I'm not just blowing smoke, here is a link to one of my pages about this spot from years past. :lol:
Some of the very trees on that steep hillside in this contest photo can be seen in the four subject photos on that page of mine (nothing like finding a needle in a pine forest).

#2 - Imogene Pass
This is on Imogene Pass, at the off-shoot over-look spot where you turn left just before going across the shelf road over to the summit. This is looking east from there, with Red Mountain #3 in the background (the 'Million Dollar Highway' that goes over Red Mountain Pass is in the valley below, between the point of the photographer and Red Mountain #3).
Google Maps Sat-View
Google Earth perspective

#3 - Black Bear Pass
At the base of Bridal Veil Falls on the Telluride side (just below the worst of the treacherous switchbacks section) of Black Bear Pass. This is looking away from the high, steep cliff associated with the waterfalls, and over to the other side of the valley, toward Imogene to the north.
Google Maps Sat-View
Google Earth perspective

#4 - Imogene Pass
This is at the summit of Imogene Pass; looking east-northeast.
Google Maps Sat-View
Google Earth perspective

#5 - Black Bear Pass
Of course, even the casual observer could tell where this one was taken, because the sign is right there in the middle of the photo. This one is at the summit of Black Bear Pass; parked right at the sign, and the view is to the north.
Google Maps Sat-View
Google Earth perspective

#6 - Imogene Pass
As with #2 above, this one is on Imogene Pass; specifically, at the over-look off-shoot spot where you turn left (when coming from Ouray) just before going across the shelf road over to the summit. This is looking south from there, with Ptarmigan Lake in the mid-background.
Google Maps Sat-View
Google Earth perspective

#7 - Cinnamon Pass
This photo was taken in an area known as 'Burroughs Park' on CR 30, just northwest of 'Sherman', on the way up Cinnamon Pass from the Lake City side.
This is looking generally west toward Cinnamon Pass. The view of the summit of Cinnamon Pass in this photo is obscured by 'Edith Mountain' (the primary, close peak in middle of photo). The pointy peak in the background to the right of Edith Mountain is 'Wood Mountain'. The partially snow-patched ridge in the background to the left of Edith Mountain is part of the ridge just above the summit of Cinnamon Pass and just below the peak of Cinnamon Mountain.
Google Maps Sat-View
Google Earth perspective

#8 - Black Bear Pass (the WINNER!!!) :blueblob:
As with #5 above, this one is at the summit of Black Bear Pass.
Google Maps Sat-View
Google Earth perspective

#9 - Mineral Creek Trail
This is in Mineral Basin, at/near the San Juan Cheif Mill, just off of Mineral Creek trail near Mineral Point (relatively near Animas Forks, and the intersections for Engineer Pass, Cinnamon Pass, California Gulch, and the county road that leads down to Silverton).
Google Maps Sat-View
Google Earth perspective

#10 - Imogene Pass
As with #4 above, this is at the summit of Imogene Pass; specifically, this one is looking west.
Google Maps Sat-View
Google Earth perspective

They are all great shots in the greatest place I know.
...and again, congrats to Xx_Black-out. :cheers:

·
Admin
7,098 Posts
Great photo!
Congrats Nick!!
:cheers:

·
Registered
2,294 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
congrats …nice shot … great background to a great looking rig …

·
Premium Member
4,240 Posts
Not on the forum enough :lol:
Apparently not since I didn't even get to vote in the poll lol
Where ya bin Nick ?

:lol::lol::lol:

and a worthy winner too !!!!!

Cheers
Baz