Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I drive a 2010 FJ that had some serious rusting and restriction issues with the y-pipe and rear cats. I tried ordering an AFE y-pipe (part#: 48-46007-YN) twice. Both times the order was canceled because the item was not in stock. I am starting to think this y-pipe went out of production, but then again it is also listed as compatible with the new 4runners. Does anyone know where I can get ahold of an AFE y-pipe or URD y-pipe nowadays? Everywhere I have looked was either a 404 site or wasn't in stock. I preferably want one that would play nice with the Borla cat-back I am looking into buying in the future. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
If your goal is to eliminate the cats, the folks who have done it tend to report a pretty awful smell. So bad that some said they put them back. Also, removing the cats will result in error codes from the engine ECU, and loss of 4WD features which will get turned off when that happens. These are the reasons why the aftermarket suppliers say that they are for off road use only (highly modified, trailered to events, etc.).

Perhaps you already know that, but there are often folks coming here who dive in without realizing tradeoffs so I thought I'd mention it, just in case.

As far as where to find aftermarket parts in stock, the best course of action would be to follow up with the maker of those parts and discuss their status directly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reason I am trying to ditch the cats was the car ran pretty well with the y-pipe and rear cats off the car. I didn't notice a bad smell when I peered underneath there, probably because the front cats were still in place, which I also plan on keeping. When peering into the y-pipe, it is pretty evident that there is a blockage in the second set of cats. Before doing any of the work though, the car would throw a P0430 engine code, sometimes the CEL turning itself off after a while. I also believe there was a leak between the rear of the first set of cats and the downstream O2 sensor which I suspected to be the cause because cats usually don't go bad. Would that also cause A-trac to stop working because I was never able to get A-trac to come on?

Sorry for bombarding you with a paragraph, but what I am getting at so far is you recommend getting a stock replacement y-pipe or at the very least an aftermarket one with smaller rear cats? I would prefer to not spend a ton of money on cats because those tend to be pretty expensive. Thanks for your response!

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you ditch the cats... I do not believe units are still made or not but i have o2 simulator on my 95 tacoma yes the cat is deleted no error codes. Only reason to run the sim was to trick the ecm to think the cat was running fine.. I don't know, i have not looked if they are still making them or not ( i don't think so do to EPA ) this was used used on down stream o2 sensor. URD made mine but that was 10 years ago i believe. this was for off road use only. it wasn't designed of on road use.

Google is your friend you can make your own sim for about 6 bucks in parts.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I found a used Doug Thorley y pipe for sale here a couple of years ago. It removed the rear cats and had resonators in place of them. My FJ runs great no codes or weird smells. The O2 sensors are after the front cats and there are none after the rears, so removing them won't throw any codes.

·
Registered
935 Posts
If you're only replacing the y-pipe, you won't see any codes as the second set of sensors are only monitoring the converters in the manifolds. If you add headers, then you'd need to address that. I would run away from the AFE y pipe that has integrated cats as they don't last very long as reported by many users. If you're in a rush about the best thing you can do is go to an exhaust shop and have them whip you one up. It's not particularly hard, but I am a fan of the equal length varieties.
Bicycle part Nickel Bicycle drivetrain part Auto part Bicycle fork

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found a used Doug Thorley y pipe for sale here a couple of years ago. It removed the rear cats and had resonators in place of them. My FJ runs great no codes or weird smells. The O2 sensors are after the front cats and there are none after the rears, so removing them won't throw any codes.
that was exactly my thought. Yes, I am keeping the front cats, and only the cats after the downstream sensors are in question. I wish I took pictures but the Y-pipe is so badly rust welded that the flange that joins the 2 pieces of the Y together is just a big mound of solid rust with no hope of ever coming apart without grinding the bolt heads off. The main reason I am even ditching the cats in the first place is cost, with a sweet bonus of added power. I will have to snoop around for a Doug Thorley Y pipe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you're only replacing the y-pipe, you won't see any codes as the second set of sensors are only monitoring the converters in the manifolds. If you add headers, then you'd need to address that. I would run away from the AFE y pipe that has integrated cats as they don't last very long as reported by many users. If you're in a rush about the best thing you can do is go to an exhaust shop and have them whip you one up. It's not particularly hard, but I am a fan of the equal length varieties.
View attachment 1178463
That looks quite beautiful and tempting. I have coined the idea of having an exhaust shop mock one up as I don't have the appropriate welder configuration. The thing is that the last time I went to an exhaust shop in town, they charged me for a pipe that didn't fit whatsoever. I do know of another exhaust shop a couple of towns over that I could try. An exhaust shop would be the last resort for me but definitely not out of the question.

What I might look for now is a y-pipe with good quality cats and a true merge collector and not a shove two pipes into a bigger pipe collector like that of the stock one. That seems to be a pretty big restriction.

·
Registered
935 Posts
That looks quite beautiful and tempting. I have coined the idea of having an exhaust shop mock one up as I don't have the appropriate welder configuration. The thing is that the last time I went to an exhaust shop in town, they charged me for a pipe that didn't fit whatsoever. I do know of another exhaust shop a couple of towns over that I could try. An exhaust shop would be the last resort for me but definitely not out of the question.

What I might look for now is a y-pipe with good quality cats and a true merge collector and not a shove two pipes into a bigger pipe collector like that of the stock one. That seems to be a pretty big restriction.
A lot of good components like Urd and Doug thorley have long lead times. It just part of our supply challenges right now. The pipe above was made by Roostfactor whom has a large following with the Tacoma crowd. But he’s got like a two or three year back log, and frankly may never fill it. If you had the skills and other tools you could always tack it together and let someone else burn it in on the bench.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts