Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A while ago a forum member, daPitbull, posted an article on his Yakima rack setup using the ARB fit-kit meant for their full safari rack. I really liked the look and functionality of his rack setup so I just had to copy his setup. Thanks for the great idea daPitbull!

Here's the list of goodies purchased to get the job done:

ARB fit kit (p/n: 3720100, about $170 including tax using a 20% off coupon at 4-wheel parts, free shipping to a local 4-wheel Parts store).

Yakima 58" Cross Bars (3 of them, currently 20% off at REI, paid about $90 out the door).

Yakima 44" Fairing Kit (again 20% off at REI, about $60 out the door).

Miscellaneous Hardware:
12 - 1 1/8" x 2 U-bolts. (Orchard Supply, about $0.89 each).
24 - 1/4" x 20 Grade-8 nylock nuts (Ace Hardware, $4).
24 - 1/4" fender washers (Ace Hardware, $4).
1 - can of VHT Epoxy Roll Bar paint in semi-gloss black (Pep-boys, $4).

Installation was very straight forward. I painted the U-bolts to reduce some of the bling from the zinc coated hardware. Everything bolted up very nicely. Let me know if you guys have any questions. :cheers:

And now, Pics!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing to note is that the fairing kit did wonders by almost totally eliminating the harmonic noises caused by the wind. I think at any speed over 45 mph or so, there was a very annoying 'rumble'... but once the fairing kit was installed, it was back to the way it was with the factory rack.

Definitely recommend the fairing. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I found this post trying to mount my extensive collection of Thule racks on my FJ without the OEM rack. Just wanted to update the thread with the fact that this works well for Thule load bars as well. This fit kit also comes with zinc plated mounting brackets that work well for clamping the load bar to the fit kit with 5/16" hardware. The holes are sized for 3/8" hardware but 5/16 looks like it would work better given the width of the bar and spacing of the holes. I used some stainless security hardware from McMaster Carr.

Also, with the 64" load bars, there is room to fit a bike rack on the outside of the feet, making it a bit easier to get to. It's still way up there so some rock sliders with a ledge to stand on are handy.

As SupraTuRD noted, there is a bit of wind noise with the Thule bars as well. The Thule fairing that I tried didn't fit well because the mounting brackets lined up with the fit kit mounting area so they couldn't clip to the bar. I bought a piece of black Lexan to make my own fairing but haven't gotten to it yet.

I'm a new user so I haven't figured out how to upload photos yet. When I figure it out, I'll post photos.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Old thread i know, but does anyone have a current source for the arb fit kit? everything i am finding looks like small gutter style pieces. I can't find the ones like in these pics where its one long piece front to back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Old thread i know, but does anyone have a current source for the arb fit kit? everything i am finding looks like small gutter style pieces. I can't find the ones like in these pics where its one long piece front to back.
ToyotaJim, I've noticed the same thing. It looks like the kit is now 6 little feet. Maybe call ARB USA and see if they have any of the old ones hiding in the back. Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
rwing, when you bought yours a hundred years ago do you remember it showing the actual part? I was hoping what i was seeing was just a stock image.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just curious what your goals are for it ?

I simply would like crossbars, (areo style if possible)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I want cross bars as well, plus my tent sits way to high on the factory rack.
I hear ya, i have the ARB Fit kit, I just may go wit square bars and U Bolts....my uncle wants to get wild and make a wooden platform. He has a wood shop so its out the box thinking and can be done, but Im hesitant on that route.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I hear ya, i have the ARB Fit kit, I just may go wit square bars and U Bolts....my uncle wants to get wild and make a wooden platform. He has a wood shop so its out the box thinking and can be done, but Im hesitant on that route.
where did you order it from? i want to order it from somewhere i know im gonna get the long pieces and not the small mounts that seem to be in all the stock pics.

·
Registered
43 Posts
where did you order it from? i want to order it from somewhere i know im gonna get the long pieces and not the small mounts that seem to be in all the stock pics.
I just went to ARB thinking I could find a link for it, but it doesn't show. My FJ came with it from previous owner...however I believe it is the 3720100, goole that with FJ fit kit, shows longer style

1 - 20 of 20 Posts