Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am considering purchasing a used FJ and was curious if the experts here could provide a quick rundown of year and model comparisons. From perusing this website I hadn't realized there were so many options! Are there any production years to avoid? Are there any production years that are considered the "sweet spot" of value, performance or durability?

I am currently a 2-Door Jeep Rubicon guy however I no longer really need the full capability of front and rear lockers and the idea of owning a vehicle with more room is very appealing. I also like the way the FJ looks...

My wife has a 2007 4runner which we are mostly happy with sans the abs-brake/tcs issues... which apparently the FJs have these issues too... oh boy...

Thank you in advance for any guidance!!

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Welcome. Here are some resources that may help you in selecting the FJ that you want.
It seems like you want a capable off road vehicle and I would highly recommend the 4x4 with the off road package, most of them should come with the rear e-locker and atrac.
Depending on what you are going for the FJ cruiser is mainly in two groups because of the year built.

2007,2008,2009. These have an engine that can be supercharged with the TRD supercharger.

2010-2014. Supercharger not available. (Due to change in the engine). Beginning in 2010, one of the packages came with backup cameras from the factory (for me this was huge as I was concerned about rear visibility)

2013+ CRAWL control became an option.

This is only a basic overview, but if you could tell us more on what kind of offroading you are looking for we will be able to help.

A great place to look for a used but built FJ is the Vehicles For Sale Thread.

Also here is a guide that has what colors were made what years. Taken from this thread.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! The basic package I am looking for is an 4x4, automatic transmission and electric locker in the rear differential. Depending on the vehicles I find for sale then wade through the options from there. At this stage, as you might imagine, I am looking to develop a better understanding of the available options, outside of marketing propaganda, to help me decide what I "should" purchase (hopefully there is a decent selection to choose from). I envision finding the right vehicle and keeping it mostly bone stock.

Me being a Jeep guy for the past twelve years, I am not looking for a "project vehicle". Instead I am looking for a well equipped (mostly stock-trim anyway) FJ for which I will already know its capabilities (in the general sense). With my existing experience (Moab, Rubicon, SoCal, deserts, mountains, woods, etc.) I will also know where the more "fun" lines of the trail will be. Hopefully not getting too long winded here...

In addition to what you mention above I have also gleaned the following.
- Early 2007 models will/may have differential issues?
- The ATRAC switch can be added to an FJ with an existing rear locker?
- CRAWL sounds interesting, maybe a little too helpful though (in my opinion)

Questions:
- What do the trail team edition and trd models include? Special paint colors only?
- What other warranty (or non-warranty) type "issues" would one encounter with a 2007, 2008 or 2009 model?

Jeeps have there typical issues (sometimes depending on production year) and I suspect FJs do as well. At this stage I am just trying to make sense of it all in the FJ world.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have an 07. It is great and reliable. The engine accelerates very well (0 to 60 in approx., 7 seconds). If you buy one with more than 70,000 miles, be sure the differential problem is not there. the differentials that had the problem were made in Mexico for some FJ's built in the year 2006. Only some had that problem.
The A-Track does not work when using the rear locker in the 07. I tend to rely on lockers more than A-Track because I mud. I am going to add a front locker soon.
I come from a Wrangler Unlimited. I just like the way the FJ drives better. And I love the FJ looks. Both Jeep and FJ respond great. You will not have difficulty adapting.
I would buy the newest model I could find with 4WD and rear locker. All models seem just as good.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2010effjaycrewsir - Fender bulges? Does that mean the uni-body has been over-stressed? Where would the bulges likely appear on the fenders? Or is this a feature of certain genre?

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
It is not a unibody design.
Like the Jeep, it is body on frame.
The bulges and associated cracking occur on some of the early models and not on others of the same model year.
The bulges and cracks occur on the inner front fenders near the fire wall, one side or both.
Toyota reinforced the front end and the problem has gone away.
They also reworked the front end geometry yielding a better turning radius.
The truck has evolved gradually over time.
The truck's looks have changed very little, but the newer years are much improved over the early years.
I had a 2007 TRDSE and I loved it, but my 2012 TT and my 2014 TTTUE are much better trucks- more finished with the bugs worked out for the most part!
There also were Auto transmission issues, shuttering, on the early models as well.
Hope this helps……gm

Reactions: RoverGGM

·
Registered
586 Posts
This is somewhat more basic, but the early models are not Bluetooth equipped. I think possibly Bluetooth became standard in 2010? I know my 2012 has it and I love it.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Beat me to it gaylonw. Thanks.
As mentioned in above posts, mostly just minor refinements and tweaking (aside from the few very early rear end issues, early fender bulges, shuttering transmission, and some drive shaft issues. That's all I got off of the top of my head).
Some of the differences over the years: different engine in '10 with an element oil filter instead if a canister oil filter, different stereos, different tail lights, I think in '13 they changed the headlight stalk so you can turn off the daytime running lights, the garage door opener integrated into the mirror, crawl control added, different floor mats, and the air pump emission system started in '13 I think. That's all I can think of. I'm sure there's stuff I didn't think of that's others will add.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the input, I appreciate it. I will be purchasing within the next 12 months, most likely a 2010 or newer. At the end of the day though I think I'll be happy with most of the model years... now that I really know what to look for.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And here we are, I purchased it over the weekend. Much sooner than expected however I found the right buyer (suddenly and unexpectedly) for my Jeep.

2012 FJ
28,000 miles

So far I really like driving the FJ and find there many similarity's (more than expected) to my old Jeep. Hitting the trails in the FJ... yet to come.

Thanks again everyone for the helpful hints and suggestions.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Welcome aboard. Very good looking ride. Might need to do some more aggressive rubber as your first mod if you are hitting the trails.

I have an 07 that now has 149k on it, and have only had minor problems. I expect to drive it until the wheels fall off.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tiger_rag - Your right about the tires, when the current set wear out then I will probably go for something like a BFG AT (or similar). I ran a few different types of tires on my Jeep and the AT were my favorite (very street friendly and still had great grip).

Like you, till the wheels fall off...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts