Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I have been wanting to add some storage to the rear of the FJ ever since seeing Landcruiser Steve's creative use of space.

Late last year I had removed my rear seats and was about to build something similar but changed my mind and wanted something that didn't affect seating 5 adults. So this fall I designed something that would suit my needs and this is what I came up with:

I wanted two drawers on full extension drawer slides
Carpeted
Additional shelf to install on box unit when rear seats needed.
Not too heavy (may still cut out some of the plywood bottom like Steve did in #2 box)
Access to 110V plug in rear

I'll let the not-so-great iphone pictures do the talking:

Evolution in progress... realized front of box needed to be angled so off came the rear panels - which was required when I installed the turnbuckles... lol - evolution indeed

Right side drawer slides are set back so the access to the outlet is still useable - but only while the drawer is closed. There is an access port on the top of the box. I thought about wiring in an actual duplex receptacle to the box but realize I don't use it all that often.

Mitered the left corner of the left drawer so it would clear the rear door without issue

Shelf turned 180 degrees and sitting on top of box. Rear seats can now be set up. After doing the carpet on the shelf I went 'oh crap, I sure hope it fits in the back' - since you never know if you need to take the shelf down while you're out and about.

I used fire hose for the handles. The shelf attaches to the main box via some corner braces. I used a 1/8" X 3/4" X 40" piece of aluminum and mounted it to the box on top of fender washers to give space for the corner brackets to sit in.
There is also another 1/2" copper leg that attaches to the shelf and stands in between the seatbacks - resting on the floor under the rear seat area.
1/2" copper + copper cap + 1/2" MIP adapter + 5/8" rubber foot - soldered and threaded into a 1/2" galvanized pipe hanger - screwed onto bottom of shelf. The two outside ones needed to use 45degree couplings to get around the sides of the seat backs yet still provide contact with the floor.
I soldered most of the joints together but left the outside supports unsoldered near the MIP adapter otherwise you'd never tighten it very easily. :)
I miscalculated the size of the mats - hence why the carpet doesn't cover the sides of the shelf. I'll probably just mask off and spray the edges black so they don't stand out. I'll probably make 'Another Damn Storage Box' version 2.0 and can address these issues. :)

Black spray paint + primer on exposed areas
6mm X 30mm bolts used to secure the rear of the box to the FJ
1/2" std spruce plywood used for project
Narrow crown staples and wood glue for most of it + #6 x 1 1/2" screws every so often
Costco all-purpose grey mats used for carpeting as no one has indoor/outdoor carpeting when it's -30C :rofl:
Aluminum turnbuckles to secure front of box

Next up is some carpeting in the drawers themselves but I want to find something thinner and more flexible. As well I think I need to cover the copper legs with hockey tape or something...

Thanks again to all of you before me who gave me some ideas!

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Nice job on both the design and construction. I really like the copper legs, that is a nice solution. Can't wait ose what you might alter in 2.0.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I like! ^What he said, great that you retained the seats

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
good work. as others have said, i like how you pulled it off without removing the rear seat.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
I like that fold down flat area.... I had the similar idea myself. But, I think yours turned out way better than what I was planning. Gonna have to remember this thread.

Anyway, great box with awesome details!

·
Premium Member
12,424 Posts
Nicely done, I really like the handles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
I just got an FJ and want storage boxes and a platform. I know you posted this a long time ago. Your photos are "not available" so if you have the photos can you post the or if not and if you still have the vehicle please take some current photos. Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts