Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is the place to post this but it probably fits. It could also go into the threads regarding purchasing experiences.

Long ago in 2007 or 2008 during a fit of insomnia I whiled away the night hours looking at a replacement for my aging 86 Tercel 4WD wagon. I was mostly looking at the Subaru Forester, RAV4, 4Runner, Jeeps etc but I came across the FJ. Ugliest thing I'd ever seen and I'd never seen one on the street. Who would buy that? Beginning that day I noticed they were everywhere around town and I became more intrigued. A friend raved about his. I went to the dealer & looked & decided it was a reasonable option after all. I procrastinate about these things and didn't really need another vehicle but mine were all old and the Tercel is a death trap though otherwise a great and economical car. I decided to get an FJ as soon as it hit 200,000 miles. That happened in September 2010 so I went to order a 2010 SunFusion but it was too late to order anything that year. Have to wait for the 2011. The holidays were busy so I just got to it and ordered one yesterday. The bad news is the 90-120 day wait for delivery.

The transaction was interesting. After many additional insomniac nights reading the Forum (never never look at the Forum if you wake up at night-you'll still be there at dawn) I knew what I wanted. I typed up the configuration, went to my local dealer who knew me well by then, and called 4 other dealers in my part of the state. All said fine-send them the info & they'd give me a price. Only two of the 5 even responded which I find just amazing. How can you sell a car if you ignore a question about how much does it cost to buy this car? Even my local dealer who knows me well didn't respond. One of the other two responded but said we could only do things by phone or in the dealership. I said ok to that but never heard back. One of the five did respond, did give me a price, did negotiate in an above board friendly and helpful manner and after a couple of brief back & forths the deal was done. All very strange but in the end I was able to order everything exactly as I wanted. The final order was:

2011 Toyota FJ 4WD 6 speed manual Silver Fresco Metallic (no SunFusion but Silver is fine)
Convenience Package:
-Remote keyless entry system
-Cruise control
-Power outside mirrors with illuminated markers
-Rear wiper
-Exterior spare tire cover
-Auto-dimming rearview mirror with integrated backup camera monitor
-Privacy glass on rear side quarter & rear door windows
Upgrade Package:
-17-in alloy wheels with P265/70R17 tires
-Active Traction Control (A-TRAC)
-Electronically controlled locking rear differential
-115V/400W AC power outlet
-JBL audio system
-Leather trimmed steering wheel
-Exterior color-keyed door trim inserts
-Floating ball Multi-Information Display with inclinometer, compass and outside temperature
-Shift & transfer levers with silver accents
-Rear parking assist sonar

Center (passenger) armrest
Towing hitch & wire harness & ball mount
TRD Quickshifter
Wheel locks
Vehicle Intrusion Protection (VIP)-Glass Breakage Sensor (GBS) RS3200 Plus
All weather cargo mat
Doorsill enhancements (silly I know but they look nice & don't cost much)

I'll add rails & sliders & roof rack along with many other things later.

Just wanted to make the announcement because this forum is a major reason I finally did order the FJ and why I look forward to it more than any other car I remember. I'm in awe of things all of you have done and how much you share & I'm anxious to jump into the projects.

siskiyou2:clap:
SW Oregon

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Congrats and welcome....32 posts and no FJ yet? LOL.... You are going to be quite prepared for ownership indeed.

The Fresco is a cool color.... But then again aren't they all.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I had a very similar experience when I was contacting dealers to purchase my '10 TT. 4 of 7 dealers didn't even respond and 2 dealers told me they couldn't get what I wanted. It made choosing where I was going to buy easy (the one remaining), but made negotiating hard because they were my only option. :(
I kept commenting to my wife "how do these fools stay in busines if they don't get back to people who want to buy?"

·
Registered
31 Posts
i special ordered a manual transmission with similar options, just in black :D
i used the usaa car buying program to negotiate a lower price with a non-usaa certified dealer. i'm hoping i still get a good price since my negotiations were based on the 2010 prices.

hopefully neither of us will have to wait too long for delivery. i've been eyeballing those rear windows that open. i might end up having a pile of parts sitting around before i even get mine... i've already got the IMP shifter and transfer case knobs from this forum :roller:

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
When I told the dealer what I wanted they had it within a week. It's the dealer. Not saying that sales relects service, but you'd think there would be a trend.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Congrats - it was my impression Toyota just wasn't making 6MTs with the Upgrade Package.

My dealer showed me the shipping manifests in the system and almost all 6MT FJs are coming with the Convenience Package, Off-Road Package, and 17" Wheels.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Congrats & Welcome!

·
Premium Member
17,001 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a new FJ owner (Silver 2011) and forum member. I see quite a few posts about problems haggling over price with the dealers. Many companies (including mine) have discount agreements with Toyota, which require no negotiation for deals like 2.5-2.9% over invoice. So you might want to check with your employer and sometimes the dealer does not confirm your employer (I'm just saying...google is your friend).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts