Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to balance sleep area with storage space for adequate head room etc. So here goes nothin:

Here is the napkin stage:

I started with the 2X4 cross piece attachment to the truck. Turned out to be plenty of holding power:

Made a notch so as to fit flush:

Then I cut and assembled as per plans:

The side panels were the only parts that took some time to trial and error, cut and paste. I have a template that I would be happy to trace and send to anyone who might want to try this project.

I used overlapping piano hinges here (one screw through 2 hing holes, then into the 2x4):

Forgot to get a pic of the rear section by itself but here it is added onto the forward section by a single hinge:

Next, the indoor/outdoor carpeting:

Get some help from a buddy to lift the unit in from the rear:

It works for me. I use a twin air mattress and sleeping bag and I sleep better than at home!
EDIT:
Air mattresses are too cold. I got a foam matt from Cabela's,
Cabela's Camp Beds and Sleeping Pads, took the cover off, trimmed and cut in half and recovered with some sewing wizardry so that I can stack the two pieces while traveling.
Even better, https://www.amazon.com/Milliard-Folding-Mattress-Removable-Non-Slip/dp/B00W67PJ4M

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Way cool!

I see by your stash of tools you are an axe-murderer that digs shallow graves...

·
Registered
306 Posts
That is exactly what I want to do.
I am not much of craftmans, but I know I could do this with your plans. I would love the plans, template and parts used to do this project.

My only ?'s is do the front seats go all the way back. I am is 6' 2".

·
Registered
249 Posts
Very nice...I would have to find somewhere to stash the kids car seats though. Guess that would do when I get booted out of bed... =)

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
One of the flaps needs to hide a cooler. nice work but why not just get a tent?

·
Registered
952 Posts
One of the flaps needs to hide a cooler. nice work but why not just get a tent?
Great design, and I agree with Gottagetone: cooler or ARB fridge mount would be a bonus

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Car doors don't do much to stop bears. But it beats spending the time to set up a tent -- we used to camp in the back of our pickup w/topper. Just don't keep any food in there with you.
True about food and bears. The only ones that scare me are grizzlies and we don't have any of them in Calif. With those guys you're either interesting or your dinner. If its the latter you're a gonner.

I have several tents but when I'm on a lone fishing trip, with all my fishing gear stowed in the hatches, I just find level ground, unroll the combined air mattress and sleeping bag, inflate the mattress and crash.
I'm getting tired just thinking about it.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Very good design. Took me two looks at the pictures to realize where you were going with the lifting tops, but it makes a lot of sense. You did not obstruct storage height entry at the rear (is the rear deck detachable?), and the side gullwings are accessible from the suicide doors. I like! I like it a lot!

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Great application. Reps for you.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Nice job!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Wow! Nice job Sonof40! I want to see it next time we meet up!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Great idea, works better for camping even if you have a tent and just need the extra room. I'm gonna build something like yours and Landcruisersteve's that is removable and held in place with the seat belts and rear hold downs. Possibly a seal frame? I do like the carpet you put on it makes for a quieter ride than just wood.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts