Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Great mod! Could you sent me the PDF and the pattern ? Thanks in advance 321allsteam (at)gmail.com

·
Registered
80 Posts
Count me in too - awesome design and platform and recently been thinking about building something to sleep on. I know the post is 10 years old, but if plans are still available, email me at [email protected] Thanks.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Posted this build in Rear Cargo Drawer Build a few weeks ago.
I’ve got everything done now, but it hasn’t gone back in yet due to custom sound proofing and new stereo system. Hopefully this weekend or the next if I can get a break at from work.

Built my first storage box and rear deck several years ago. The storage box worked great, but the sleep deck was less than functional.
I’m now building version 2.0, which has completely done away with the rear seats. The rear box is still based on the same design, except it’s a tad bit taller to bring the height up equal to the top of the interior panels. The top is also slightly wider than the old box to fill the gaps better between the box and interior panels. Instead of two drawers, this box has three 2-1/2” drawers on the drivers side and two 4” drawers on the passenger side. I plan to have neoprene foam laser cut to fit all my tools and recovery equipment. The rear box and drawers are made entirely of 1/2” Baltic Birch, which is lighter than 3/4” plywood and comparable in strength. After much research, I found some adjustable tension latches that mount at the rear of the drawers and latch into its counterpart that mount to the inside rear of the cabinet. These can be adjusted to provide a nice tight snap that will keep the drawers in place securely, even when wheeling. These latches are used in the marine industry to secure drawers and cabinet doors on ships, and are made of stainless. The drawer fronts have stainless marine pull handles.
The front section of the setup takes the place of the rear seats. It provides two main storage sections for spare parts, camp gear, etc.. It incorporates a custom built-in 10” subwoofer box in the center front that takes the place of my previous rear corner hogging sub box (More foot room! Yay!). The front section is all contoured to the floor and sides of the vehicle to keep everything inside secured and most importantly, to provide strength. This section doubles as a sleep deck. I opted for gull-wing hatch doors to make it more user friendly, while still being able to access most everything from either side of the vehicle. The hatches are supported with hydraulic pistons like the fj hood. And when opened, LED light strips inside will be triggered by magnetic switches and light everything up inside. The hatch doors are latched down tight with marine hatch latches that lock if desired. Mounted to the front of this forward section, behind each seat, are folding extensions that raise and latch into place when the seats are slid and tilted forward. There’s a drop-in section that fills the gap between, just above the rear of the center console. This provides maximum sleeping room. Even my 6’1” frame should rest comfortably back there. When not in use, the extensions fold down and secure with a thumbscrew to prevent any rattling. The forward section is built out of 3/4 Birch to provide extra strength. I figured the extra strength will be needed to keep the heavy spare cv axle and other gear secure. Not to mention, keeping my fat butt from falling through in the middle of the night. Lol!
The entire thing came back out two weekends ago and was edge banded with Birch veneer, got sanded, stained with an ebony stain and finished off with 4 coats of polyurethane. Once back in the vehicle, it’ll get topped off with a medium density 3/16” neoprene rubber, to help keep things thrown on top, from sliding around.

I’ll add more pics when completed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Updated. Pics of completed sleep deck / storage.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
^^^ This is the coolest thing I will see all day. Hell, maybe all week! WOW!

Thanks! I put a lot of thought and work into it for sure!

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
The tool drawers......a thing of beauty!

Thanks! The foam really helps keep everything in place, rattle free and organized. And it’s super easy to see if a tool is missing after a trail repair. No more leaving that 10mm socket behind, unless of course, the elusive 10mm monster ate it! Lol!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nice Job I love it!!

Reactions: shannon67

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Nice Job I love it!!

Thanks! I’m actually in the back on the sleep deck right now in the Ozark National Forest getting ready for a restful sleep! It’s 27 degrees outside and I’m wrapped up in my sleeping bag with a 12 volt heated blanket and nice and toasty! Sure beats sleeping in a ground tent, like the other four people I’m wheeling with!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve got everything done now, but it hasn’t gone back in yet due to custom sound proofing and new stereo system. Hopefully this weekend or the next if I can get a break at from work.

Built my first storage box and rear deck several years ago. The storage box worked great, but the sleep deck was less than functional.
I’m now building version 2.0, which has completely done away with the rear seats. The rear box is still based on the same design, except it’s a tad bit taller to bring the height up equal to the top of the interior panels. The top is also slightly wider than the old box to fill the gaps better between the box and interior panels. Instead of two drawers, this box has three 2-1/2” drawers on the drivers side and two 4” drawers on the passenger side. I plan to have neoprene foam laser cut to fit all my tools and recovery equipment. The rear box and drawers are made entirely of 1/2” Baltic Birch, which is lighter than 3/4” plywood and comparable in strength. After much research, I found some adjustable tension latches that mount at the rear of the drawers and latch into its counterpart that mount to the inside rear of the cabinet. These can be adjusted to provide a nice tight snap that will keep the drawers in place securely, even when wheeling. These latches are used in the marine industry to secure drawers and cabinet doors on ships, and are made of stainless. The drawer fronts have stainless marine pull handles.
The front section of the setup takes the place of the rear seats. It provides two main storage sections for spare parts, camp gear, etc.. It incorporates a custom built-in 10” subwoofer box in the center front that takes the place of my previous rear corner hogging sub box (More foot room! Yay!). The front section is all contoured to the floor and sides of the vehicle to keep everything inside secured and most importantly, to provide strength. This section doubles as a sleep deck. I opted for gull-wing hatch doors to make it more user friendly, while still being able to access most everything from either side of the vehicle. The hatches are supported with hydraulic pistons like the fj hood. And when opened, LED light strips inside will be triggered by magnetic switches and light everything up inside. The hatch doors are latched down tight with marine hatch latches that lock if desired. Mounted to the front of this forward section, behind each seat, are folding extensions that raise and latch into place when the seats are slid and tilted forward. There’s a drop-in section that fills the gap between, just above the rear of the center console. This provides maximum sleeping room. Even my 6’1” frame should rest comfortably back there. When not in use, the extensions fold down and secure with a thumbscrew to prevent any rattling. The forward section is built out of 3/4 Birch to provide extra strength. I figured the extra strength will be needed to keep the heavy spare cv axle and other gear secure. Not to mention, keeping my fat butt from falling through in the middle of the night. Lol!
The entire thing came back out two weekends ago and was edge banded with Birch veneer, got sanded, stained with an ebony stain and finished off with 4 coats of polyurethane. Once back in the vehicle, it’ll get topped off with a medium density 3/16” neoprene rubber, to help keep things thrown on top, from sliding around.

[/QUOTE
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness. Oscar Wilde
Your design is GREAT.
I want to create it and

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness. (Oscar Wilde)
Your box is GREAT! To flatter you, I am going to build one. If you have, PDFs, plans, templates I would appreciate copies, please. Thanks, Bryan [email protected]

21 - 31 of 31 Posts