Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!
Here is the build out of my my lumbering green giant. Just recently took him out to Moab and got lots of interest, so I figured I'd post it here.
Lets get to the nitty gritty on the build out, I took a bone stock 2012 Army Green FJ and have built it out into what I think is a practical, and utilitarian build out. My philosophy on this build is that I am often traveling in groups, and I want to be the utility support, so I have built my FJ out as such. For the time being, its not entirely overlandy yet, but it is getting there.

Here are some of the technical specifications of the build as it stands
Exterior:
Platform: 2012 Army Green, as base as they come
Paint: Custom Cement Grey Roof (Previous Owner)
Tires: 33" BFG KO2
Wheels: 17" Icon Rebounds
Shocks: Full Icon Stage 7 Suspension System
Bumper: Fab Fours
Winch: Warn VR10-s EVO
Front Fog Lights: Baja Designs Squadron Sports Driving Combo, Amber
Front Aux: Baja Designs LP6 Driving Combo, Amber
Front Ditch: Baja Designs S2 Sports Driving Combo Amber
Side Ditch: Amazon special light pods
Top Light Bar: OZ-USA 40" Light bar
Rear Light Bar: OZ-USA 20" Light Bar
Rear Hazard Pods: OZ-USA Amber Light Pods

Electrics:
Fully custom triple battery system
Primary Start: Optima Red Top
Aux Start: Optima Red Top
Aux House: Johnson Controls Deep Cycle (From Telco Industry)
I have this system configured with dual isolators to isolate the Aux Start and Aux House batteries, so that when the vehicle is off, they all remain independent of each other. The winch and all lighting are tied into the Aux Start, leaving the Main Start to deal with the ECU and critical applications like music. Due to safety concerns the winch never has power feeding to it unless the vehicle is powered on, I can trigger the winch to be powered up with my Switch Pros, additioanlly, I have the ability if I need an extra omph while doing a recovery, I have the ability to bridge all three batteries for up to 1000 amps available to the winch. To power all this, I have modified the stock Denso alternator to be wired in a delta configuration to supply 270 amps.

On the house side of things my house battery management is completely autonomous, turning off automatically when the battery level gets to low. In the rear I am running a Dometic CFX50, and a Renogy 20A solar charge controller. I am using a set of modified Goal Zero solar panels. Inverter wise I've got a split 170/1000watt system. The rational behind this system is that, I wanted to run light weight things, but didn't want to power up the big 1000watt inverter which pulls a lot of current at idle. To do the initial test of this dual battery system, I made a smoothie with a Magic Bullet.

Air System:
As the general trend of this rig continues, the air system is also massively over built. The main source of air is an ARB Twin Air, which has two air chucks, one in the front and one in the back. The rear air chuck is special because it is assisted with a 10 gallon air tank. That air tank allows me to air up my tires in 3 min flat through a custom "wifey" air system with full electronic regulation. The air system also allows me to run most shop air tools, I have run a 3/4" air impact, zip gun, air ratchets, and basically any other tool to make trail repairs simple and easy. My "wifey" air system is designed in such a way that I set the inflate and deflate pressures on a screen, and the Arduino finds the best algorithm to quickly meet that target pressure.

Interior:
On the inside, I've equipped Yoda with an IPad mount that I keep all my maps and gauges on. I have also built a vision system that gives me 360 degrees of total visability around the car, a camera is mounted in the front, under each mirror, and then I also tapped into the rear view camera. I can switch between all 4 or have it in a split screen configuration on the monitor. The main rational behind this was that I wanted to be able to trust but verify my spotters because I am often going out with inexperienced spotters, so it allows them to practice, but also allows me to not mess my car up.

I will continue to ramble on about this build out at a later date, but here is the major nitty gritty on this current revision of the build, but I've got major plans in the works.

If you have any questions about any off this build, let me know, and I'm happy to answer them.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Great rig and write up.

Can you explain the “Delta” configuration on your charging system?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great rig and write up.

Can you explain the “Delta” configuration on your charging system?
Hey,

So the stock Denso alternator comes in a configuration know as a star configuration, I rewired mine to be a delta configuration. Essentially all car alternators are 3 phase generators, and it is the regulators job to convert that 3 phase power into DC voltage for the car. By converting my altenator to a delta configuration, I am able to get nearly double the output power of the stock star configuration.

I followed this guide to convert my alternator,

It is a multi part series, and details all the things you need to do for the Denso alternator that comes on the FJ.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Wow
That was quite a undertaking.
I’m impressed.

Do you think your stator windings are up to the task of the increased load?

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
three batteries....wow. I'm green. that makes your weight close to, lets see....., Mt. Ranier?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hello Everyone!
Here is the build out of my my lumbering green giant. Just recently took him out to Moab and got lots of interest, so I figured I'd post it here.
Lets get to the nitty gritty on the build out, I took a bone stock 2012 Army Green FJ and have built it out into what I think is a practical, and utilitarian build out. My philosophy on this build is that I am often traveling in groups, and I want to be the utility support, so I have built my FJ out as such. For the time being, its not entirely overlandy yet, but it is getting there.

Here are some of the technical specifications of the build as it stands
Exterior:
Platform: 2012 Army Green, as base as they come
Paint: Custom Cement Grey Roof (Previous Owner)
Tires: 33" BFG KO2
Wheels: 17" Icon Rebounds
Shocks: Full Icon Stage 7 Suspension System
Bumper: Fab Fours
Winch: Warn VR10-s EVO
Front Fog Lights: Baja Designs Squadron Sports Driving Combo, Amber
Front Aux: Baja Designs LP6 Driving Combo, Amber
Front Ditch: Baja Designs S2 Sports Driving Combo Amber
Side Ditch: Amazon special light pods
Top Light Bar: OZ-USA 40" Light bar
Rear Light Bar: OZ-USA 20" Light Bar
Rear Hazard Pods: OZ-USA Amber Light Pods

View attachment 1117440

Electrics:
Fully custom triple battery system
Primary Start: Optima Red Top
Aux Start: Optima Red Top
Aux House: Johnson Controls Deep Cycle (From Telco Industry)
I have this system configured with dual isolators to isolate the Aux Start and Aux House batteries, so that when the vehicle is off, they all remain independent of each other. The winch and all lighting are tied into the Aux Start, leaving the Main Start to deal with the ECU and critical applications like music. Due to safety concerns the winch never has power feeding to it unless the vehicle is powered on, I can trigger the winch to be powered up with my Switch Pros, additioanlly, I have the ability if I need an extra omph while doing a recovery, I have the ability to bridge all three batteries for up to 1000 amps available to the winch. To power all this, I have modified the stock Denso alternator to be wired in a delta configuration to supply 270 amps.

On the house side of things my house battery management is completely autonomous, turning off automatically when the battery level gets to low. In the rear I am running a Dometic CFX50, and a Renogy 20A solar charge controller. I am using a set of modified Goal Zero solar panels. Inverter wise I've got a split 170/1000watt system. The rational behind this system is that, I wanted to run light weight things, but didn't want to power up the big 1000watt inverter which pulls a lot of current at idle. To do the initial test of this dual battery system, I made a smoothie with a Magic Bullet.

Air System:
As the general trend of this rig continues, the air system is also massively over built. The main source of air is an ARB Twin Air, which has two air chucks, one in the front and one in the back. The rear air chuck is special because it is assisted with a 10 gallon air tank. That air tank allows me to air up my tires in 3 min flat through a custom "wifey" air system with full electronic regulation. The air system also allows me to run most shop air tools, I have run a 3/4" air impact, zip gun, air ratchets, and basically any other tool to make trail repairs simple and easy. My "wifey" air system is designed in such a way that I set the inflate and deflate pressures on a screen, and the Arduino finds the best algorithm to quickly meet that target pressure.

Interior:
On the inside, I've equipped Yoda with an IPad mount that I keep all my maps and gauges on. I have also built a vision system that gives me 360 degrees of total visability around the car, a camera is mounted in the front, under each mirror, and then I also tapped into the rear view camera. I can switch between all 4 or have it in a split screen configuration on the monitor. The main rational behind this was that I wanted to be able to trust but verify my spotters because I am often going out with inexperienced spotters, so it allows them to practice, but also allows me to not mess my car up.

I will continue to ramble on about this build out at a later date, but here is the major nitty gritty on this current revision of the build, but I've got major plans in the works.

If you have any questions about any off this build, let me know, and I'm happy to answer them.

View attachment 1117441 View attachment 1117444
View attachment 1117445 View attachment 1117446 View attachment 1117447
Awesome
Rig!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow
That was quite a undertaking.
I’m impressed.

Do you think your stator windings are up to the task of the increased load?
At this point, I don’t know, keeping a close eye on stuff and voltages, at the first sign of failure, I’ll swap it out. More of a hold over kind of thing.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
At this point, I don’t know, keeping a close eye on stuff and voltages, at the first sign of failure, I’ll swap it out. More of a hold over kind of thing.
Keep us posted.
Curious how it will react with more load than it can put out such as using a winch

I’ve never measured amps when using my winch but have heard that it can be >400 amps.

I have seen my battery voltage at 7 with prolonged uses of the winch

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Keep us posted.
Curious how it will react with more load than it can put out such as using a winch

I’ve never measured amps when using my winch but have heard that it can be >400 amps.

I have seen my battery voltage at 7 with prolonged uses of the winch
That is why I have the triple battery system, I have done long pulls and only dropped to 10v, the idea is not for the alternator to power the winch, rather use the battery as a quick burst of power, and the alternator is there to replenish the power. After a long winch pull, I will still let my car run for a bit before I feel comfortable letting it be shut down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts