Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! anyone been up there lately? Looking like a lot of snow at Badger Pass and more on the way.

wondering how the driving conditions are as well? They make you take chains in but I'm wondering if you really need them. pain the arse to put them on.

thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
I'm here. :rofl:

Roads have been relatively good this year. They repaved the Wawona Road (Hwy 41) thru most of the park this past summer. You will need to have chains, but I doubt you will need to use them. NPS will jump to R-3 quicker than CALTRANS, but more often than not, they close the road for a while to do cleanup. That has only happened a couple times this year, and I don't think this storm should do that to us. Most of the road delays have been due to down trees or crashes.

Phone number for NPS road conditions is 209-372-0200, then push 1, followed by another 1. Call from Oakhurst as you pass thru.

Looks like it should be a good weekend up here. Maybe I'll see you around. I hope you enjoy the trip!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice! Great to have some insider info. Supposed to dump snow this week.

Guess I need to find some chains now. Can you get away with just the rear tires up there?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
should I take Chowchilla Mountain Road? haha.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
will do.

watch that video from the 5 minute mark to the end. crazy and a funny ending

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
I have one set of chains, and never plan to use them. When it gets to R-3, I stay where I am, or go back to where I came from and get a hot chocolate or coffee. Storming pretty good last night and into today. We got about 6 inches of snow on the valley floor overnight, and it has been raining & snowing here all day.

Badger Pass posted these conditions two hours ago on their FB page:
Downhill Operations
Base Depth:72”-75”
New Snow:12”- 18”
Snow Conditions:powder, Packed Powder
Forecast: Heavy Snow
Temperature: High 37 Low 33
Runs Groomed: Bruin, Eagle, Rabbit, Badger, Wildcat, Turtle, Red Fox, Beaver
Lifts Open: Turtle, Bruin, Eagle, Badger
Runs open:All
Tubing Hill: Two Sessions Per Day 11:30 – 1:30 & 2:00 – 4:00

Click the link below for the webcam on my house.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Ha, just watched the video. Lots of folks do the same thing, especially tourists who pick up their rental car in S.F. and the GPS tells them to get to Wawona that way.

Only one reason I love my GPS, but still pay for a AAA membership for the "free" maps.... :lol:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
said it's R2 today. Guess that means chains for most cars.

I don't mind putting chains on but buying them and not really using them is almost worse

·
Registered
899 Posts
Definitely miss Yosemite (Our favorite NP)! Some of the best pics I took in the park were in the winter, when there is a mix of rain & snow - simply beautiful! After taking literally thousands of pics there over the last 2 years , we have about a dozen pics of the waterfalls, Half Dome and El Cap adorning our walls here in Alaska....

As you know by now the only good roads into Yosemite Valley (in the winter months) are 120, 140 and 41.

Take a good camera and take lots of pics-enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm taking the 41 and hoping we can plow through!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got back. Awesome trip even though I was sick the first few days. Tons of snow and it was beautiful. FJ did great!

YoseFJ-saw your FJ parked with about a foot of snow piled high. Nice looking rig.

Pics to come

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

1 - 15 of 15 Posts