Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I signed on for the first time in weeks, and edited the main post of my "member build-up" - the forum redesign changed the way posts are linked to, so my "index" of modifications that linked to other posts in the thread didn't work anymore.

I saved that main post, and then went to update a few other posts in the thread that refer to other posts, whose links were also broken.

When I tried to edit a 2nd post after my first one, I was presented with an error message:

FJCF may not edit.jpg

That was definitely the 2nd post I tried to edit, and I haven't logged on in the past 7 days.

What's up with that? I can't fix up the rest of my posts now, for I guess another week?

Interestingly, I can edit this post, and another post I made today in this forum about another issue. I just can't edit any of my posts in my Member Build-Up thread except the main one, it seems.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just noticed that all of the posts I've made today are editable - even replies. But, my really old posts in my member write-up give the error message.

EDIT: I edited this just now.

So maybe it's something about posts that existed before the new forum, or posts older than a certain date?

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
So I cannot edit the post I just made, nor any posts in my build thread, and it has been more like a month gone by for my build thread edits. So far moderators and forum help has not provided a solution. Getting ready to ditch this forum.

·
Administrator
2,074 Posts
So I cannot edit the post I just made, nor any posts in my build thread, and it has been more like a month gone by for my build thread edits. So far moderators and forum help has not provided a solution. Getting ready to ditch this forum.
As Iconic mentioned: You have 24 hours after posting something to edit it an unlimited amount of times. After 24 hours you can use one of your 10 edit abilities to continue to make changes to any post. When using 1 of your 10 edits, it goes on its own timer that resets 7 days after the edit was used. Within that 7 days, you will have unlimited editing ability on that post. This is the intention of the software, but some inconsistencies have cropped up, including OP's error.

We are aware of this not functioning perfectly and are working on addressing and fixing it.

Thanks for bearing with us, and as we work past resolving, we'd love to open discussions about any development or losing of restrictions that the community would like to see. :)

-Gerrit

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Was the forum experiencing a problem that the time-based edit limitation addressed?

EDIT: While I can edit this post, I still can't edit any of my old replies, such as www.fjcruiserforums.com/threads/101firedogs-fire-dog-arca9.629826/post-8554906 (which I just attmempted before adding this note here. Cumulatively, I've edited this post, my two other posts in this thread and the main post in my member build-up thread - 4 total posts, 3 of them within minutes of creating them and 1 that was years old - as the sum total of my edits in the past month (at least a month).

Looking forward to a fix (y)

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Will some moderator please explain this apparently senseless limitation, and if there appears to be any resolution?

This forum is not a chat room, it is a primarily technical discussion forum, and ANY limitation on editing (based on time or number of updates) severely hampers the ability to keep posts accurate and current as new information is developed.

Please, what is the underlying intent of limiting the ability to edit posts?

·
Administrator
2,074 Posts
Will some moderator please explain this apparently senseless limitation, and if there appears to be any resolution?

This forum is not a chat room, it is a primarily technical discussion forum, and ANY limitation on editing (based on time or number of updates) severely hampers the ability to keep posts accurate and current as new information is developed.

Please, what is the underlying intent of limiting the ability to edit posts?
The mods were not responsible for the decision, we were and have a few reasons why this limitation is in place. These range from the simple concern over the flow of conversation, to larger concerns. Putting a time limit on editing does protect all parties from abuse and liability plain and simple. If someone gets into a flame war with a user and it gets to the point of defamation they can’t backtrack and edit what was said to cover tracks or save face. Likewise if someone posts pirated content or otherwise violating content. Or if a user decides they no longer want to be here for whatever reason they cannot suddenly shuck off the terms of service and try to remove all of their content. We have began to expand with these 10 posts per 7 days edits, and may expand from here once we sort out the unique errors y'all are facing.

Your feedback is valuable and we will consider this moving forward, but know there is always method to our madness, and we are always open to helping y'all best understand our processes.

-Gerrit

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can now confirm it has been 7 days since I tried to edit any post, and I still cannot edit my old posts inside threads (including my own threads) - I still get this same error message. This feature is not working as intended for me.

... These range from the simple concern over the flow of conversation, to larger concerns. Putting a time limit on editing does protect all parties from abuse and liability plain and simple. If someone gets into a flame war with a user and it gets to the point of defamation they can’t backtrack and edit what was said to cover tracks or save face. Likewise if someone posts pirated content or otherwise violating content. Or if a user decides they no longer want to be here for whatever reason they cannot suddenly shuck off the terms of service and try to remove all of their content.
By what % has this restriction reduced those behaviors? What is the ratio of well-intentioned content contributions that are shut out by this restriction, to malicious actions that it blocks? Even if y'all don't have those numbers handy, do you have a way to figure them out?

As a user who would like to contribute content constructively to this community, the brokenness of this limitation is teaching me that posts just aren't editable in the long-term anymore. This means that
  1. I shouldn't bother to update my "Member build up" anymore
  2. I shouldn't bother to make posts like my suspension install write-up, where I came back after a week, a month, 6 months, and a year, to record (in the original post) how it worked out.
  3. I shouldn't bother to make posts like Visual Encyclopedia of FJ Cruiser Fasteners which require going back and editing to maintain.
I almost didn't even bother to complain about the edit restriction, just silently giving up on the forum as something that doesn't work anymore.

Maybe the moderation team was just doing a bang-up job corralling all the malicious editing behavior, and that's why as a viewer/user I never saw any problems involving it. And maybe now that this restriction is in place, they can rest easy because they don't have to wrangle that bad behavior anymore. And if so... okay!

But I'd still wonder how much legitimate use is being shut out, and if it's worth it. You can prevent all malicious edits by just shutting the forum down... it's harder to grow and keep a community of contributors.

P.S. to nitpick (which is I'm sure why "the reasons" for the restriction aren't up-front; nobody wants a backseat driver):
  1. If someone gets into a flame war with a user and it gets to the point of defamation they can’t backtrack and edit what was said to cover tracks or save face
    ... well, they can hit 10 of their posts, anyway.
  2. Likewise if someone posts pirated content or otherwise violating content.
    ... as long as they don't make more than 10 such posts
  3. Or if a user decides they no longer want to be here for whatever reason they cannot suddenly shuck off the terms of service and try to remove all of their content.
    ... if you have EU users, you may be required by EU law to allow this...
    Nonetheless, a user could just do it in increments of 10, once a week, and nothing would stop the eventual purge of all of their content.
These all sound like nice things to prevent, but I just don't see how practically, a blanket quota on editing old posts actually prevents any of these actions. Adding a revision history for edits (that only moderators and/or admins can see) with ability to roll back changes would still enable the moderation team to address all of the malicious behaviors you've described without ever risking discouraging legitimate contributions. All the things you've described sound like problems that need an audit trail and/or accountability solution - which rate limiting isn't, really. Surely there's some solution like that for this forum software; I had admin-visible edit history on forums I administered all the way back in 2006...

(EDIT: Of course, I can still edit posts right after I make them)

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
The mods were not responsible for the decision, we were and have a few reasons why this limitation is in place. These range from the simple concern over the flow of conversation, to larger concerns. Putting a time limit on editing does protect all parties from abuse and liability plain and simple. If someone gets into a flame war with a user and it gets to the point of defamation they can’t backtrack and edit what was said to cover tracks or save face. Likewise if someone posts pirated content or otherwise violating content. Or if a user decides they no longer want to be here for whatever reason they cannot suddenly shuck off the terms of service and try to remove all of their content. We have began to expand with these 10 posts per 7 days edits, and may expand from here once we sort out the unique errors y'all are facing.

Your feedback is valuable and we will consider this moving forward, but know there is always method to our madness, and we are always open to helping y'all best understand our processes.

-Gerrit
Here is my feedback - provide an ETA for a fix. If you cant fix it, then eliminate it. It has been over a month, and I am still locked out of my own build threads. If there is user error on my part, please explain it in specific terms to me. These were posts ported over from the old forum, but I had to rebuild my gallery and re-link all the pictures.
Thanks
Shawn

·
Administrator
2,074 Posts
We are still waiting on a fix for the edit post issue and do not have an ETA at this time.

Our team has a bit of a backlog so sorry for any delayed responses.

Right now our main focus is the site speed issues and reviewing spam tools, once those are sorted out we will move back towards adding new features and bug fixes.

Jeff M

1 - 17 of 17 Posts