Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1161 - 1180 of 1206 Posts

·
トヨタ Master
5,765 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
Recently bought a Leatherman Skeletool. Was a bit sceptical at first as pliers and blade much smaller than my Wave and its definitely not as robust but I love it. It’s so light and the clip means it’s always secure in my pocket so it’s always there, has just enough tools etc to be useful all the time.
Yep! I really like mine too! Stops me from having to go find a screwdriver all the time, and allows me to grab hot parts without finding a pair of gloves.

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts
I'd like to read some real reviews after someone has to actually shovel in anything but loose sand or snow.
Those things suck for sand... I have a normal shovel for that.
Those foldable entrenching tools are a compromise between size & functionality. They suck for digging anything, but they beat using an MRE spoon to dig a scrape under fire.
If you have a vehicle, buy a shovel - they're great for digging with - almost like they were designed for that job...

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts

·
トヨタ Master
5,765 Posts
Those things suck for sand... I have a normal shovel for that.
Those foldable entrenching tools are a compromise between size & functionality. They suck for digging anything, but they beat using an MRE spoon to dig a scrape under fire.
If you have a vehicle, buy a shovel - they're great for digging with - almost like they were designed for that job...
Agreed but since this is an EDC thread, I think the concept of a folding shovel applies. Most of these tools aren't great for anything but will suffice when the need arises. I hate multitools for that reason but you have to have them in order to pack lightly so it's a double edged sword....err...shovel I mean. :lol:

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts
Agreed but since this is an EDC thread, I think the concept of a folding shovel applies. Most of these tools aren't great for anything but will suffice when the need arises. I hate multitools for that reason but you have to have them in order to pack lightly so it's a double edged sword....err...shovel I mean.
To be fair - I keep one in the back of the Mrs car along with a tow strap and shackels, a multitool, some wire, cable ties, fire extinguisher and a first aid kit.
I have pretty much the same in the FJ.
Like you say, those folding shovels can be useful for clearing sand around the tires in a pinch...

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
The Max-Axe setup I carry is sort of the same way. It has a lot of different tools like an axe, rake, hoe, shovel, and pick, but it works better in in some ways than others. The axe works great. The shovel works, but it's hindered a bit. When the shovel blade which is a round point shove about 10" or so long, is put on the tool, you can only shovel as deep as that 10" in soft stuff like sand. The axe head where the shovel blade attaches sticks up so it blocks the shovel from going in deeper. It works good enough to move dirt and if you work at you can dig a hole, but it takes a bit more time than a regular shovel. To use on the trail it's a lot faster and easier at times to just use the rake or hoe to pull dirt and rocks from under a vehicle with it. The other downfall is the length of the handle as it's only as long as an axe handle, but then again sometimes the shorter handle is an advantage in some situations like under a vehicle. Overall it works decent enough to have as it does give you multiple uses and it's fairly compact, but it isn't perfect. It was designed for the Forest Service and then later they made a version for the military too. It gave the guys a set of different tools that could be easily carried by a person into an area to do a job instead of having to try to carry a set of full sized tools. To me it's a starter set of tools to get you by until the job is done or a set of better tools is available. Kind of like a 1st Aid Kit is used to get you buy until the full fledged Medical Team is on site.

I got my first multi tool, a Leatherman, from work as a Safety Award. I never thought much about it at first, but then I started using it and came to love it and then upgraded to better tools with locking blades and now have several of them. Is it perfect? No. For most of what I needed at work it was great. There were times I used it to fix something enough to get by until a mechanic or electrician could get the problem fixed the right way. It saved me from having to walk across the plant site to the tool room and back and then over and back again several times for a quick fix on something. It was used to cut wire, twine, electrical wires, and lunch. The pliers weren't big enough to fit on a lot of the nuts and bolts on things we had, but there were times I was able to wedge them in enough to hold a bolt from turning while I used the Channel Locks they gave us to do the tightening. I never thought of it as a box of tools, but as a tool to possibly make a temporary repair until something could be fixed right so that equipment could be kept running and save a lot of headache and work from having to swap stuff out. I used it for a lot of stuff from cutting water or steam hoses that had a leak to save someone from getting wet or burnt to cutting up lunch. Handy, but not perfect.

As far as digging a ditch or moving dirt under a vehicle or something, the tool I used to carry all the time that worked even better in a lot of cases than a shovel was a Finn Hoe. It's a tool developed for use in the cramped spaces of a mine tunnel. It's got a handle sort of like an axe with a head that is a long narrow V shape that is also slightly bent into a V the length of the head and it's mounted and used like a pick. You can move a lot of dirt with one and dig fairly deep quickly or you can scrape dirt with the sides of one too. Very handy.

·
トヨタ Master
5,765 Posts
The Max-Axe setup I carry is sort of the same way. It has a lot of different tools like an axe, rake, hoe, shovel, and pick, but it works better in in some ways than others. The axe works great. The shovel works, but it's hindered a bit. When the shovel blade which is a round point shove about 10" or so long, is put on the tool, you can only shovel as deep as that 10" in soft stuff like sand. The axe head where the shovel blade attaches sticks up so it blocks the shovel from going in deeper. It works good enough to move dirt and if you work at you can dig a hole, but it takes a bit more time than a regular shovel. To use on the trail it's a lot faster and easier at times to just use the rake or hoe to pull dirt and rocks from under a vehicle with it. The other downfall is the length of the handle as it's only as long as an axe handle, but then again sometimes the shorter handle is an advantage in some situations like under a vehicle. Overall it works decent enough to have as it does give you multiple uses and it's fairly compact, but it isn't perfect. It was designed for the Forest Service and then later they made a version for the military too. It gave the guys a set of different tools that could be easily carried by a person into an area to do a job instead of having to try to carry a set of full sized tools. To me it's a starter set of tools to get you by until the job is done or a set of better tools is available. Kind of like a 1st Aid Kit is used to get you buy until the full fledged Medical Team is on site.

I got my first multi tool, a Leatherman, from work as a Safety Award. I never thought much about it at first, but then I started using it and came to love it and then upgraded to better tools with locking blades and now have several of them. Is it perfect? No. For most of what I needed at work it was great. There were times I used it to fix something enough to get by until a mechanic or electrician could get the problem fixed the right way. It saved me from having to walk across the plant site to the tool room and back and then over and back again several times for a quick fix on something. It was used to cut wire, twine, electrical wires, and lunch. The pliers weren't big enough to fit on a lot of the nuts and bolts on things we had, but there were times I was able to wedge them in enough to hold a bolt from turning while I used the Channel Locks they gave us to do the tightening. I never thought of it as a box of tools, but as a tool to possibly make a temporary repair until something could be fixed right so that equipment could be kept running and save a lot of headache and work from having to swap stuff out. I used it for a lot of stuff from cutting water or steam hoses that had a leak to save someone from getting wet or burnt to cutting up lunch. Handy, but not perfect.

As far as digging a ditch or moving dirt under a vehicle or something, the tool I used to carry all the time that worked even better in a lot of cases than a shovel was a Finn Hoe. It's a tool developed for use in the cramped spaces of a mine tunnel. It's got a handle sort of like an axe with a head that is a long narrow V shape that is also slightly bent into a V the length of the head and it's mounted and used like a pick. You can move a lot of dirt with one and dig fairly deep quickly or you can scrape dirt with the sides of one too. Very handy.

I've got the Hi Lift Handle All, bought it right after they came out. They just did a comparison in Toyota Owner's Magazine, not sure if any of you have a subscription tho. Kind of wish I'd gotten the Max after reading it, as I really don't like that you can't slide your hand up and down the handle of the Hi Lift when swinging or chopping.

https://www.4wdtoyotaownermagazine.com/

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
I've got the Hi Lift Handle All, bought it right after they came out. They just did a comparison in Toyota Owner's Magazine, not sure if any of you have a subscription tho. Kind of wish I'd gotten the Max after reading it, as I really don't like that you can't slide your hand up and down the handle of the Hi Lift when swinging or chopping.

https://www.4wdtoyotaownermagazine.com/
I had a subscription to that magazine set up before the first issue came out and loved it. I let my subscription lapse a couple of years ago to all the magazines I read as I just wasn't reading as much as I used too. I also don't get to my mail box all that often so it was filling up fast and then there would be bags of mail waiting for me. I miss reading it too.

The Max is handy and you can move your hands around on the handle. The biggest drawback is the shovel with the axe being in the way for some stuff. If a guy could make a second handle with the attachment point for the blade he'd have a really good setup for the shove. It's nice in that all of the tools fit in a canvas bag that then fits over the axe handle and the bag has carry handles on it so you can just grab and go.

I ended up picking up a shovel a few years ago to help the Max out. It's a square point shovel with the option of a short D handle or a long handle. It worked good for snow and soft stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,172
Recently bought a Leatherman Skeletool. Was a bit sceptical at first as pliers and blade much smaller than my Wave and its definitely not as robust but I love it. It’s so light and the clip means it’s always secure in my pocket so it’s always there, has just enough tools etc to be useful all the time.

I will have to check one out I always end putting my wave up in my pack cause it’s so heavy. Can’t beat the old work horse when u need it!

Sent from WV

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,094 Posts
I will have to check one out I always end putting my wave up in my pack cause it’s so heavy. Can’t beat the old work horse when u need it!

Sent from WV
Would say no substitute for the Wave, tools much smaller but a great 'always in your pocket' tool, my Wave is also in my pack now.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,094 Posts
We'll I've always said the other way around... shovel for shovelling, spade for digging.. guess I've been wrong all these years?

Dictionary definition:

Shovel: noun, an implement consisting of a broad blade or scoop attached to a long handle, used for taking up, removing, or throwing loose matter, as earth, snow, or coal.

Spade: noun: a tool for digging, having an iron blade adapted for pressing into the ground with the foot and a long handle commonly with a grip or crosspiece at the top, and with the blade usually narrower and flatter than that of a shovel.
Or:

a spade is for digging yourself a hole... the shovel is for filling it in before someone else falls in....

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
We'll I've always said the other way around... shovel for shovelling, spade for digging.. guess I've been wrong all these years?
Ditto. I knew there was a difference and which was used for what type of work but technically been referring to each by the wrong name for years :rofl:

I think mainly because I figured the "shovel" with a head that was shaped like and upside down
would have the name Spade but nothing else makes sense in this world so why would that? :lol:

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts
Ditto. I knew there was a difference and which was used for what type of work but technically been referring to each by the wrong name for years :rofl:

I think mainly because I figured the "shovel" with a head that was shaped like and upside down
would have the name Spade but nothing else makes sense in this world so why would that?
Ace of shovels doesn't sound so good?
Imagine the song ace of shovels ace of shovels... That would require a complete rewrite...

1161 - 1180 of 1206 Posts