·
Banned
9,090 Posts

·
Desert Moderator
6,720 Posts

Sent from WV
This was a tough guy... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paddy_Mayne

Lieutenant Colonel*Robert Blair "Paddy" Mayne*DSO*&*Three Bars*(11 January 1915 – 14 December 1955) was a Northern Irish*British Army*soldier from*Ulster, capped for*Ireland*and the*British Lions*at*rugby union, lawyer, amateur boxer and a founding member of the*Special Air Service*(SAS).*

During the 1938 Lions tour it is said that Mayne relaxed by "wrecking hotels and fighting dockers".
During the war, his men admired him in battle but were very wary of him during quiet times once he had had a few drinks. Many*urban legends*of his post-war years exist in*Belfast*and Newtownards. These mostly tell of incidents in which, after drinking for several hours, Mayne would challenge every man in the bar to a fight, which he would invariably win.*

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
31,398 Posts
I just picked up a pair of Leatherman Raptor shears that came in today. I'd wanted or needed to get a decent pair of shears for the first aid kit in my truck and have been looking for a pair for some time now. I needed something that was well built and sharp that also had finger and thumb holes big enough to easily use them without having my thumb get stuck in them. I read a bunch of reviews on Amazon of different brands and none really stood out. I then looked at the ones from Leatherman and all the reviews were great on the with the bad reviews mainly being for the plastic molded holster that they come with and it either loosening up and the tool falling out, the screws loosening up and the holster breaking in two, or the screws loosening up and falling out and then the holster falling apart. The holster is molded and will hold the shears when folded or when in the open position and ready for use. It has a setup to be used on a belt or it is Molle compatible and it's adjustable to sit in different positions for pulling the tool out. I don't really have plans to carry it on my belt and will probably just stick them inside the first aid bag.

The tool is pretty good sized and it weighs in at 5.8oz. It's approx 5"Lx1 1/2"Wx3/4"D closed and then approx 8"Lx4"Wx3/4"D when open. It has the shears and then on one blade there is a ruler in cm/mm from 0-5/25. Under the bottom blade at the pivot is a notch for cutting rings. There is a blade on it with an oxygen tank tool and a strap cutter and on the end of the handle is a glass breaking tool and a lanyard hole. To fold them up there are two triangular shaped buttons, one on each side that you push and then the handles fold back. They appear to be well made and everything is nice and tight as I've come to expect from Leatherman products after being a long time user of them. I only got to try them on some cotton material and it went through that like a hot knife through butter. In the reviews people talk and show photos of cutting pennies into pieces with them and medical people talk about cutting leather and denim in real world uses.

They are a little pricey at $69.95, but should be well worth it if they do their job in a bad situation even once. They come with plastic handle covers in black, black/orange, tan, blue, red, and green. According to some reviewers if you contact Leatherman and provide your ID such as EMT, Fireman, Police, etc. they will sell you a pair at a big discount.

I mentioned having finger and thumb holes big enough to easily use and this has them. I have room to spare for my thumb and I can fit 3 fingers in the finger hole and then there is a notch in front of that for the 4th finger. I could probably use them with a pair of gloves on if they aren't too thick.

So far I'm happy with them although I haven't gotten to use them, but then again they are a tool that you really don't hope you need to use. I think they'll be great if and when needed.

·
Desert Moderator
6,720 Posts
I need a set of shears that can make it through flight security...
I've lost too many cheap sets from my med kit I carry when traveling to the more "fun" locations...

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
31,398 Posts
I need a set of shears that can make it through flight security...
I've lost too many cheap sets from my med kit I carry when traveling to the more "fun" locations...
One of the reviewers mentioned that these aren't TSA legal because of that strap cutter piece in the first photo. He said that he used a torx or whatever wrench it is to remove that blade and then added in stainless washers to replace it and they then allowed it through without problems and he takes the shears with him on the planes now. You could check into that and see if it would work for you. Hell you might even be able to get Leatherman to do it from the factory too.

Reactions: amaclach

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
31,398 Posts
I have a pair of Raptors... but my hands are too small!! find them hard to open up.
I was surprised at their size and they work great for me. Usually I get something like these and my thumb always gets stuck in the hole and I feel like I'm using kid sized scissors or something they are so small and tight. I even had a set of 3 pairs of sewing scissors at the house and they were all small sized and the thumb holes always caused me problems.

·
Desert Moderator
6,720 Posts
One of the reviewers mentioned that these aren't TSA legal because of that strap cutter piece in the first photo. He said that he used a torx or whatever wrench it is to remove that blade and then added in stainless washers to replace it and they then allowed it through without problems and he takes the shears with him on the planes now. You could check into that and see if it would work for you. Hell you might even be able to get Leatherman to do it from the factory too.
Unfortunately it comes down to the discretion of the individual on the x-ray machine...
Sometimes they get through, sometimes not, and I really can't be assed checking my bag through...

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,196
I just picked up a pair of Leatherman Raptor shears that came in today. I'd wanted or needed to get a decent pair of shears for the first aid kit in my truck and have been looking for a pair for some time now. I needed something that was well built and sharp that also had finger and thumb holes big enough to easily use them without having my thumb get stuck in them. I read a bunch of reviews on Amazon of different brands and none really stood out. I then looked at the ones from Leatherman and all the reviews were great on the with the bad reviews mainly being for the plastic molded holster that they come with and it either loosening up and the tool falling out, the screws loosening up and the holster breaking in two, or the screws loosening up and falling out and then the holster falling apart. The holster is molded and will hold the shears when folded or when in the open position and ready for use. It has a setup to be used on a belt or it is Molle compatible and it's adjustable to sit in different positions for pulling the tool out. I don't really have plans to carry it on my belt and will probably just stick them inside the first aid bag.

The tool is pretty good sized and it weighs in at 5.8oz. It's approx 5"Lx1 1/2"Wx3/4"D closed and then approx 8"Lx4"Wx3/4"D when open. It has the shears and then on one blade there is a ruler in cm/mm from 0-5/25. Under the bottom blade at the pivot is a notch for cutting rings. There is a blade on it with an oxygen tank tool and a strap cutter and on the end of the handle is a glass breaking tool and a lanyard hole. To fold them up there are two triangular shaped buttons, one on each side that you push and then the handles fold back. They appear to be well made and everything is nice and tight as I've come to expect from Leatherman products after being a long time user of them. I only got to try them on some cotton material and it went through that like a hot knife through butter. In the reviews people talk and show photos of cutting pennies into pieces with them and medical people talk about cutting leather and denim in real world uses.

They are a little pricey at $69.95, but should be well worth it if they do their job in a bad situation even once. They come with plastic handle covers in black, black/orange, tan, blue, red, and green. According to some reviewers if you contact Leatherman and provide your ID such as EMT, Fireman, Police, etc. they will sell you a pair at a big discount.

I mentioned having finger and thumb holes big enough to easily use and this has them. I have room to spare for my thumb and I can fit 3 fingers in the finger hole and then there is a notch in front of that for the 4th finger. I could probably use them with a pair of gloves on if they aren't too thick.

So far I'm happy with them although I haven't gotten to use them, but then again they are a tool that you really don't hope you need to use. I think they'll be great if and when needed.

Mine are on my bag everyday at work I’ve had them for awhile now as impressed with them as I always have been with my long time leatherman wave. I can tell you the built in ring cutter will cut through rings like butter too !

Sent from WV

·
Banned
1 Posts
I have a GORUCK GR1 for my EDC. Will have to post up its contents later when I have time. Interested to see where this thread goes.

OP are you over on the EDCF forums?
The first bag( Versa pack knock off from utg) Traded to tan Field Tactical pack and ended up in the maxpedition falcon 2 which is current bag.

·
Premium Member
12,412 Posts
Pretty basic stuff:
Everyday first aid kit
Trauma first aid kit - for the bleedy ones
Small fixed blade
Bottle of water/Gatorade
Small shovel

For the winter just subbed in:

Dozen Hot Shots
Extra pair of socks in a sealed bag
Spare Toque

Reactions: Andy07

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,199
The first bag( Versa pack knock off from utg) Traded to tan Field Tactical pack and ended up in the maxpedition falcon 2 which is current bag.

Had same maxpedition pack for probably 7 years now as well Best one I’ve owned carry it everyday on the squad I work and in my 4runner as I type

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
トヨタ Master
7,974 Posts
Got a few fresh Quick Clot packs a few weeks ago. Nothing else has changed much.

Reactions: amaclach and Andy07
1181 - 1200 of 1225 Posts