Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For someone doing mud, clay, sand, and trails with plenty of holes and fallen branches and trees,
But not the wide open desert near vertical grade rock hopping,
What are some of your mods you ended up liking the best?

Everything, as expected, looks stock right now.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I like the stock Toyota-Bilstein shocks. If mine ever start to leak or lose their damping, I'll be at the Toyota parts counter ordering a new one in.

WOW that is one incredibly rust free FJ!
I apologize for being off-topic, but since you showed the underside of your FJ, I feel the need to comment.

Your pictures look pretty much exactly how the undercarriage of my 2013 FJ looked a year ago. Take a flashlight and have a look under the rear spring perches and the bracket for the panhard rod attached to the differential housing. Consider doing a little prevention and preservation work now to avoid restoration work in the future. A single spray can of Fluid-Film would probably be enough to just put a little on any existing rust, all of the frame and diff welds, under the welded on bits of the diff-housing, wipe some on the inside of the rear cross-member and diff housing etc. A little work now and a repeat each year may keep it in good condition.

·
トヨタ Master
5,845 Posts
The whole enchilada=BP51s, SPC UCAs, Wheeler's Super Bumps, medium rear springs, and as @smracing suggested, airing down 10 p.r. tires help when applicable.

I still have that rear adjustable panhard bar sitting in my garage, which will help with alignment but not ride quality.

·
Registered
494 Posts
My SAWS from metaltech, but will be going to 2.5 Kings next go around.

·
Desert Moderator
5,679 Posts
Put a skid plate from the front cross member to the back of the engine, and put decent tires on it. The front skid plate will protect the most important bits, and take 99% of the hits.
For the type of use that you're describing, some good AT tires rather than MT. I like Cooper AT3 in 285/70R17 - and you can get away without doing a body mount chop or replacing the stock UCA with those tires.
Once the shocks start dying, replace the springs & shocks with a kit from ToyTec (a supporting vendor).

·
Registered
57 Posts
My favorite suspension improvement is 2.5 shocks on the front ,I did this on my Tacoma/Icon and FJ/Bilstein 6112 and its the best thing you can do for the first suspension Mod.5100s are not that great on and off the road. 2.5 front shocks will transform the truck.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Once the shocks start dying, replace the springs & shocks with a kit from ToyTec (a supporting vendor).
You sure about that supporting vendor thing? I thought so too, until I looked at the vendor page:

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/vendor-member-section/

I currently see 9 vendors that have stuck it out. Been decreasing each year since the FJ was discontinued. Vendors are putting their money/sponsorship in other areas such as 4Runner, Tacoma and Tundra

All that being said, I agree about your idea of looking at Toytec's offerings.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have been running stock Bilstiens and spacers with Mastercraft Courser MXT 285/70/17 (Mastercraft Courser are a subsidiary of Cooper and are easier on the budget) for the last 2 years and it was fine except when I launched it and snapped a Bilstiens in half lol Heard from various people including Bilstiens themselves state that spacers and Bilstiens are a bad combo.

I live for muddy obstacles, woodsy Fire Service Roads and rock gardens.

I recently just swapped out most of my suspension thru Dobinson. Their sales guy Mike was pretty cool, I told him what I do with my rig, weight and they built me a pretty good kit for under $2k.

So far I love it, it rides much better this lift is actually 3.5" and a little taller. I haven't had it on any rock gardens yet as I am awaiting my new front & transmission skid plates to be delivered this month. But can't wait to stretch it out and see how it handles now.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
The most important mod for me is Geolandar MT G003 that tackles any and all terrains combined with the Bilstein 6112/5160 and LCA skids and shock skids and rear differential guard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
+1 on wheelers bump stops. Bottoming out on oem bump stops might as well feel like metal on metal but I don’t quite need $600 hydraulic stops from Icon. And same vein I’d loop spindle gussets, greasable lower outer ball joints, and pressing Energy Suspension bushings lower inners up front into the mix.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I just ordered the Kings, then realized it mentions nothing about any particular lift height for the rear. I hope my 3" Icon overland spring is ok with the Kings in the rear. The front they list adjustable up to 2", but I have my 3" Icons adjusted almost all the way up, due to bumper and winch up there. Dang it King, I need that extra 1" to 1.5" capacity on the lift adjustment!

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,312 Posts
Scary smooth at 70mph on hard pack desert floor and soft river bed.. If you want to win, you Win with the King

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
Letting air out of the tires.
We have a lift, various additional stuff.

We have lowered tire pressure on long rides in the past. Last weekend, I finally got a good comparison on some short rides - what a difference! Clearance is good for avoiding big rocks, for avoiding dragging the chassis, for very rough terrain, for looking serious. Lower pressure has made the most difference to us in ride comfort.

A good pump (like a Viair for starters), and a valve stem core remover are wise purchases!

Matt B

·
Registered
87 Posts
In preparation for larger tires install the right springs and shocks. DO NOT USE spring spacers if you are going off road. I had to learn the hard way. Bilstein shocks and springs from Toytec are a good start. In general as you spend more you get better performance. The fronts are on the second shock notch from the bottom and the springs are Eibachs for 2.75" of lift. The rears are standard 5100s and the springs are AFE Sway Aways for 1.5" of lift. This combo maintains slight forward rake which makes the truck handle really well. Adjust caster forward. Now I'm confident that the truck can handle bigger tires and a Raptor Tune. Check all the suspension components and get them corrected before you do any suspension mods! I see a lot of folks cruising around with dead springs, bad bushings, and the front tires are almost touching the fenders.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts