Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I am in the planning stages of building a home and I want to attach a garage. We have an FJ and a Honda CRV and I use a wheelchair much of the time.... I need info and advice on what I should build. So far I know I need a two car garage with room for a workbench and some storage.

How big is your garage?1 car, 2 car?
Single door or double?
Innovative things you have for storage?
Things you would do different if you were to build again?

If you have pics of your garage/workshop that would be excellent.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
No pics with me here at work, but I have a 3 car.

1 double door + 1 single door.

In the larger portion, I back in my FJ and pull my Altima in forward. I park each off to their respective side as much as possible, allowing me to swing the driver side door on either car open fully without contact to the other.

In the 3rd garage, I keep all of my crap. Workbench in the back, shelving along the full length, pegboards lining many of the walls. I need to rearrange to make it easier to get my trailer in and out, but that will require a weekend off where I can rearrange it all.

Things I would do differently:
I'd have 220 run to the garage when it were built.
I'd build more room in front/behind the cars so I could walk all the way around them with doors closed.
More outlets - I've made due with extension cords, but it would be nice to have some outlets closer to the doors.
Tandem/pull-through - It isn't an option with my HOA, but if I ever moved somewhere that it were acceptable, I'd have one of the bays allow pulling all the way through.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
A double door is more flexible for parking purposes, but less aesthetically pleasing typically. Don't go narrower than 18' on the door and make sure it's 8' tall. Go ahead and do some basic wall/ceiling insulation as well as an insulated garage door. I wouldn't heat it full time, but a little propane heater works wonders.
Tray is right about providing wiring up front. Depending on your plans, I'd make sure to have dedicated circuits for a welder and an air compressor. Most other circuits can be shared since most people won't use any tools taking more than a basic 15amp circuit provides. Make sure you've got plenty of light. I've got four 8' fluorescent fixtures and it's marginal.
The size will depend on how much you need to store. I've got a 26'x26' 2-car and it's plenty since I have a basement to put my other crap in. You may need more depending on the grade of the site since you'll probably need a wheelchair accessible ramp. I've got plenty of room in front of me and on both sides without fear of hitting my other car.
If you don't have anything above it, you can consider vaulting the ceiling and installing a lift. For $3k, you can get a nice lift, but they are in the way sometimes for general parking.
I design houses for a living and it always comes down to what you want, your lifestyle and how much you're willing to spend. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I added on to my existing house with a 2 car attached garage last year. This gives me 4 spaces (the house had an existing two car). Because I lived on a circle drive and my land is pie shaped I was limited to how wide I made it. If space was not an option I would suggest the following:

1. Try to build it 25' by 25'. This gives you space in between the vehicles and moderate space for depth. If you have the room make it 30' deep.

2. I would suggest a 100 amp sub panel in the garage. This allows you to grow your electric needs. It will allow you to grow if you wish to get into welding or woodworking. Not too expensive and I'm glad I did it.

3. I made my addition with a 10 foot door and I have a 14' ceiling. I love the additional height but again you may not have that luxury. This allows greater space with the same footprint (Cheap space).

4. Plan on your costs going up as much as 50% of your budget. Its amazing how this can happen.

5. Don't look back. This was a labor of love and made my house much more enjoyable.

6. Join Garage Journal.com. Great website with garage nuts that have great ideas.

Hope this helps.:wave:

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
BTW no one has ever complained about building a garage to big:rocker:

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome feedback guys....Exactly the kind of stuff I am looking for. I have been debating the width/depth question since I do need to be able to drive in far enough to open the back door of the FJ and CRV to access my chair. Luxury would be to be able to get all the way around each car either in my chair or on a Roller stool for cleaning and maintaining both vehicles.

The sperate box sounds like a good idea as well as plenty of power outlets. I was thinking a minimum of six. Two over the bench and two on each side wall..... I see my $30K garage budget getting beat to snot pretty quick. :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
My next door neighbor has this nifty sliding screen door setup across the front of his garage....and I hate him for it. Where's mine?

I did one thing kinda cool, though. I have a small flatbed trailor I use for my motorcycle, tires, stuff, and I rigged up a set of pulleys and ropes that allow me to hook onto the four corners of the trailor and hoist it up to the ceiling out of the way. LOVE IT! Stays dry and is available at a moments notice (so long as the car is not currently IN the garage).

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Oh yeah:

BANGIN' STEREO!

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not a big music guy but I will definitely have something to use Sirius on.

·
Registered
671 Posts
X2 on the stereo.

I think most of the things I would put in there have been added. But I would think about putting a floor drain or two in, depending on how big the garage is. Maybe with something you could block it off with when changing the oil or other fluids. I find myself wishing I had one all the time.

Also, at Sears a few years ago I bought an extension cord that winds itself up on a reel like an air hose. It hangs on the celling and plugs into the garage door motor. It's not a high voltage or anything, but it is great for power tools, vacuums ect. It's definitely one of the most useful things in my garage.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My garage is 25x40. It's really big when all the crap is out of it. I've lived here 7 years and have never parked in the garage. We have a 24 foot long hearse parked in there year round but it still gives me space in front and behind. My air compressor,welder,torch,tool box and engine hoists all sit in the front of the garage along with my 3 work benches. I have a cheap 80 dollar receiver hooked up to 2 Technic home speakers with my X M hooked in. (my neighbors hate me in the summer) I really really wish it had a floor drain or two. In the winter all the water just sits on the floor from my wifes Mini as the snow melts. All in all we have the hearse parked on one side and her Mini and my project S-10 on the other. I used to get the jet ski in the mini side too. Plenty of room that way if you stagger the cars. i have fit my old trailblazer and her malibu end to end on one side in it. I have an 18 foot single door that's 7 feet high. wish my garage was taller (8 foot ceiling)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Lots of people have commented already and with my garage being small there are many things I'd change.

- Add 220 volt
- Many more outlets ( in the house its every 6 feet, I have one in the garage )
- Good overhead lighting
- Lots of shelving - I currently use the heavy duty ones from Lowes
- Work bench space, the more the merrier
- Floor Drain
- Insulation - in the walls and on the door
- Taller garage door - 8' would be sweet

My parents have an ideal setup with 4 cars, two on a 45 degree angle which leaves a lot of space on the bend. At minimum a 25' depth but 30' is awesome because you can use the wall space, bring in the car, and have room to move around it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
  • Add a heater/ AC depending on your location.
  • A drain if code allows.
  • Ethernet for internet, wireless will do but wired is faster. This really comes in handy when researching parts catalogs, manuals etc on line.
  • TV with cable/DirectTV feed.
  • Stereo - Pick up a nice old Marantz or Pioneer receiver and run speakers to whatever layout you like or will work best for you. Use the computer you have in the garage as your music server to listen to whatever you feel like
  • Fridge - full size, better
  • Tool chest
  • Wall organizer for tools
  • more electrical outlets than you think you'll need
  • off the floor cabinet storage
  • work bench
  • lighting, as well as a corded retractable light in case you're working on something
  • Pictures - gotta have a few 30x36 pictures of your favorite cars/bikes/etc

That's my garage, minus the drain (against code) and AC - sure wish it were bigger and had more outlets though.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
x2 on the floor drain. We live in a place where they put crap (salt, gravel, sand etc) on the road in the winter and all the junk turns into snot when combined with slushy snow. It sticks to the vehicles and then when they are parked in the garage, it all falls off and makes a total mess. Floors drains would make it possible to hose out the garage in the winter without making a skating rink in the front.

Two things that are pretty valuable that my parents have in their garage (> 4 car) is a dog door and dog wash. The dog door allows their dog to have the roam of the acreage but also have the shelter of the garage. My Dad built a kennel with a nice bed so that the dog can't get into any trouble while in the garage. The dog bath is just a faucet with a tiled basin on the floor and I don't know how often the dog gets bathed but it's really handy for grabbing water or hooking up a hose to wash cars or whatever.

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
Love a big garage. My friend built a 50x50 garage at his house and has plenty of room.
8' garage doors! I would go at least 30' deep so you can have storage cabnets in front of parked cars and at least 3 car garage to have some storage space. Divide sections off with pony wall and make that side the work bench area. 220 is a must and plenty of outlets and lighting
Tv, stereo, fridge is nice if you have the room

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
My garage is nothing fancy, just a 2 car. I do have the two single doors though and as a previous poster said, yeah it looks nice but the one double door is much more convenient and versatile. Also, as others have stated and you have probably already got designed in, go for height!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Definitely plan on one oversized door(width as well as height, 8ft min.). It gives you a great deal of flexibility.
We have a 900 sq. ft. 3 car garage with two separate standard doors plus the oversized.
Extra space on one side allows for a work area and storage for our lawn tractor.
It is also plumbed for natural gas and is insulated.
Large Windows on the work area side provide nice light.
The 3 doors also face south to avoid the winter snow drifts and storms that tend to blow from the north with a back door and window for air flow in summer.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts