Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 182 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
I just grease all six of mine about an hour ago. If the zerk is on the slip yoke, then you shouldn't have any trouble putting grease thru it. If it's on the u-joints, those can be pretty darn tight. They may not need grease. Remember, you are only replacing grease that is lost. If you force it you could blow grease out the seals which is not ideal.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
It was a clogged zerk. The swap out fixed the problem.

I have talked to a few guys at the shop who say to squeeze grease until the old stuff is coming out all the way around all the sealed areas. Since it comes out some spots before others it takes a bit of "squeezing out the old stuff." How would one know if a seal is blown?

From here out I am just going to pump until the old stuff just starts to creep out (one spot or all around, whichever is first).

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
The purpose of the seal is to keep grease in, and keep dirt and water out. Once you're pushing grease past the rubber seals, they won't seal quite as well. It's probably not that big a deal but I've found that if I pump the crap out of the u-joints, it seems they need grease more frequently and take noticeably more grease. That tells me that the grease is getting out. If the grease can get out, the bearings will not have the proper lubrication, also water can get it. Just my experience. I guess if you never drive in water or really muddy, snowy or wet conditions it probably doesn't matter.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
205 Posts
quick question: when he mentioned "If the zerks inside the u-joints are aligned, then the slip yoke zerk will be too. DO NOT grease the slip yokes until grease comes out between the shaft and the tube," what does it mean do not grease the slip yokes until grease comes out? Does the grease come out by itself? how does this work?

thanks

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
quick question: when he mentioned "If the zerks inside the u-joints are aligned, then the slip yoke zerk will be too. DO NOT grease the slip yokes until grease comes out between the shaft and the tube," what does it mean do not grease the slip yokes until grease comes out? Does the grease come out by itself? how does this work?

thanks
It means, only put one or two pumps of the grease gun into the slip yokes. If you keep pumping, you will fill all the space between the inner and outer slip yoke with grease, and then they will be hydraulically locked and not be able to slip which will stress your transfer case output shaft and differential pinion gears.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
At what mileage should you pump grease into the zerks?
Your manual states every 5K but I find the rear slip yoke prefers to be greased about every 2.5K or so to keep it perfectly happy.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
897 Posts
What grease are you guys using? I can look it up in the manual, but I am just wondering how critical it is. I have a case of high quality tractor grease that I bought when I was still running my John Deere 3520. I would like to be able to use it. Will have to look and see exactly what it is.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I looked in the manual. It states use an NGl2 (cant remember exact number) but it was exactly what I had.

I greased all 6 zerks. All of them were easy to get to. The rear shaft was turned exactly opposite where it needed to be (naturally) but even then it was easy to get the flexible nozzle up there. Didnt rotate shaft. 3-4 pumps and grease was exiting at every point. Pumped 2-3 shots in the 2 slip yokes. 10 minute job. Not counting the 15 minutes it took me to find my good extension cord. LOL.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok I greased zerks for the first time ever. I found four spider zerks and two sliding yoke zerks. I know there are only six zerks but the manual shows double cardan joints which I didn't see when I was underneath. What's the deal?

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
If you have the flexible hose on the grease gun you don`t have to take the little heat shield off to get to the zerk its the hardest one to get to but managible.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Ok I greased zerks for the first time ever. I found four spider zerks and two sliding yoke zerks. I know there are only six zerks but the manual shows double cardan joints which I didn't see when I was underneath. What's the deal?
They use portions of the manual for different trucks other than the FJC; there are no double-cardan joints on the FJC. You got them all.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I greased all 6 for the first time today. Since I have never done this, I am curious if the grease gun w/flexible hose I bought has the correct fitting to attach to the zerks, or if there is something else I have to purchase. The reason I ask is because I put the end of the hose on the zerk and squeezed once, but it looked like grease just went all over the place without going in the zerk.

Any advice on if I'm doing this wrong, or need a fitting for the grease gun?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Any advice on if I'm doing this wrong, or need a fitting for the grease gun?
Clean the zerk really well before you push on the fitting, and make certain that you are pushing the fitting on the zerk as far as it will go. Also, try to keep the fitting as straight as possible...do your best to let the tube flex while keeping the fitting straight.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
On a tight zerk and with a flexible hose it helps to hold the fitting on straight and tight with one hand while pumping the gun with the other. If that doesn't work, replace the zerk - a few are bad (stuck) from the factory. Some times you can free a stuck one with a light rap on a center punch, but they are cheap and easy to replace.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
Clean the zerk really well before you push on the fitting, and make certain that you are pushing the fitting on the zerk as far as it will go. Also, try to keep the fitting as straight as possible...do your best to let the tube flex while keeping the fitting straight.
X2, you should feel it 'snap' onto the zerk if it seated properly (you won't hear it).

DEWFPO

·
Registered
718 Posts
for those of us that bought a 4x2 there are no zerks. it just doesnt make sense to me why Toyota did this. I spoke with the stealership after I had binding issues and they couldnt lube anything either.

guess thats what I get for buying a 4x2 offroad vehicle.:boohoo:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have replaced the gear oils in my front & rear diff, man trans, & Transfer case. I wanted to gease the zerks but not having done this before and being caught for time, I took the FJ to a local dealer to have the chasis lubed. They told me the chasis doesn't get lubed in the FJ. After reading this forum, I felt they didn't know what they were talking about & left; when I asked them about the zerks needing to be lubed, they didn't know what a zerk was? I called the (more reliable) dealer from whom I bought my FJ, and asked them about this. They too said the chasis in the FJ doesn't get lubed. What is going on here?

21 - 40 of 182 Posts