Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 182 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
What is going on here?
Your dealers are lazy idiots. Either that, or they figure to make more money installing new u-joints than charging you for regular maintenance items. In either case, screw them and do it yourself, it's easy.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
The chassis on the FJ does not need to be lubed, but the two driveshafts do require lubrication as per the owner's manual. It's easy to do and should be done every 3-5k miles. Grease guns are cheap. Your better off doing it yourself.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Damm I think i need to do mine.... I dont think the dealer has ever done this on my FJ.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
So much for the Toyota dealer performing Toyota recommended servicing. And there are some folks that have all their maintenance done at the Toyota dealer because they think they are getting the best services available and protecting their investment in case of a warranty claim.:rofl:

DEWFPO

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just ask them. I ask every time and they do it free of charge. Anyways, it is odd that recommended service is not done, always leaves wondering about everything else. So I just make sure to ask.

Which is a good question, other than the drive shaft lube, what other service is recommended on a regular basis other than the normal fluids/rotations/brakes etc.? Basically, is there anything else I should be "reminding" them?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Agree. Don't assume anything. Ask!

Just ask them. I ask every time and they do it free of charge. Anyways, it is odd that recommended service is not done, always leaves wondering about everything else. So I just make sure to ask.

Which is a good question, other than the drive shaft lube, what other service is recommended on a regular basis other than the normal fluids/rotations/brakes etc.? Basically, is there anything else I should be "reminding" them?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Hi guys,

has anybody tried to do a HOW TO video on all the zerks? I am pretty mechanically inclined meaning I like to do all my own stuff but this will be my first time lubbing the zerks and I would like to see a how to video before I jump to it.

Thanks,

·
Registered
64 Posts
There is one on Youtube. Search youtube using "FJ Cruiser Drive Shaft Care". There are other FJ how-to videos on youtube. I found the drive shaft video while searching for the video that shows how to replace a backup sensor.:thinkerg:

Hi guys,

has anybody tried to do a HOW TO video on all the zerks? I am pretty mechanically inclined meaning I like to do all my own stuff but this will be my first time lubbing the zerks and I would like to see a how to video before I jump to it.

Thanks,

·
Registered
65 Posts
for those of us that bought a 4x2 there are no zerks. it just doesnt make sense to me why Toyota did this. I spoke with the stealership after I had binding issues and they couldnt lube anything either.

guess thats what I get for buying a 4x2 offroad vehicle.:boohoo:
Is this true that the 4x2's do not have any zerks to grease? I have not been under my FJ yet to look but that doesn't sound right to me?

Can anyone with a 4x2 confirm this?

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
for those of us that bought a 4x2 there are no zerks. it just doesnt make sense to me why Toyota did this. I spoke with the stealership after I had binding issues and they couldnt lube anything either.

guess thats what I get for buying a 4x2 offroad vehicle.:boohoo:
4x2 = no zerks (I can't confirm this is the case for the 2010)

·
Registered
961 Posts
+1, same here.
My local amsoil guy is a tool, he's never around. I started using M1 synthetic grease and it seems to work fine. I like the red color too....

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
My local amsoil guy is a tool, he's never around. I started using M1 synthetic grease and it seems to work fine. I like the red color too....
you know you dont have to go to your local AMSOIL guy direct...you can just buy it online yourself...most times it will be at your door in 4 days.

I use the AMSOIL Syn 2000 as well....

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
can I use the same grease that I use to lubricate my boat's sterndrive? It's mercruiser all purpose grease. Mercruiser 2-4-C w/Teflon??

Thanks,

41 - 60 of 182 Posts