Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

141 - 160 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I picked up my 07 a couple months ago. Today while putting on the new Ricochet HD skids I decided to hit up the zerks. I got lucky that all 6 were accessible without having to reposition. The only catch is that when grease went in at all the U joints there was no other grease in front of my fresh stuff... only a thin line of dirt. They were BONE DRY.

80k and no grease. I hope all is well in drivetrain land....

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
thank you thank you i just learned alot now i gotta go find my grease gun and the right stuff to put in it im sure the dealer never did nothing if ya want it done right do it yourself

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just did this after reading this thread! So easy and as many have said before, there was no old grease coming out. 80k miles and I bet I'm the first person to grease those fittings!

·
Registered
154 Posts
awesome sticky! just did mine. it was easy because of all the input on this thread. I actually heard a "crack" when the seal was broken so i knew when it was full. as for the yoke, i just gave it three pumps.

im glad i read this post, didn't realize it was recommended maintenance every 5k. bought my '10 4x4 MT with 25k miles on it. just did it for the first time at 50k. now onto the diff and tranny fluid change.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
I greased my six zerks today at 15,000 miles, my first time. I put ten pumps into both slip yokes which, is about a teaspoon each with no problems. No grease came out of the yoke area either.

Question:
If you did hydrolock your yoke from too much grease can you tell/test by jacking up the two front tires off the ground and looking to see if the yoke shaft extends? Obviously, noting the yoke shaft position before using the jack for reference.

However, with the U-joints I pumped away with the grease gun (brand new) and did not have any excess grease seep out. So, no grease leaked out of any seams. No grease leaked out with the zerk and grease gun connection. I'm not sure if it worked properly. Perhaps the U-joints were close to full and after topping them off no more could be pumped in? Perhaps my grease gun didn't make enough pressure to pump the grease into the U-joint? I tested the gun and it worked on a zerk fitting on my riding mower so, the gun should be good. I also, cleaned off all the zerk connections so, I doubt I had any blockages.

I don't know if this is normal? Anyone know or experience the same?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I greased my six zerks today at 15,000 miles, my first time. I put ten pumps into both slip yokes which, is about a teaspoon each with no problems. No grease came out of the yoke area either.

Question:
If you did hydrolock your yoke from too much grease can you tell/test by jacking up the two front tires off the ground and looking to see if the yoke shaft extends? Obviously, noting the yoke shaft position before using the jack for reference.

However, with the U-joints I pumped away with the grease gun (brand new) and did not have any excess grease seep out. So, no grease leaked out of any seams. No grease leaked out with the zerk and grease gun connection. I'm not sure if it worked properly. Perhaps the U-joints were close to full and after topping them off no more could be pumped in? Perhaps my grease gun didn't make enough pressure to pump the grease into the U-joint? I tested the gun and it worked on a zerk fitting on my riding mower so, the gun should be good. I also, cleaned off all the zerk connections so, I doubt I had any blockages.

I don't know if this is normal? Anyone know or experience the same?

the way I look at the whole fear of hydrolock is if the seals are working properly, it will not hydrolock because grease would simply ooze out releasing the pressure. in fact thats how the grease lubricate the spines. the reason why people have issues hydrolocking their slip yokes is usually never greasing them causing dirt and rust building up around the seals. it should be fixed if that happens but you definitely do not want to put too much grease in it or it will pop out the pressure relief cap.
the front slip yoke does not extend much because the front diff does not move unlike the rear diff. if grease is oozing out it will not hydrolock.
the u-joints should have grease coming out when you pump the grease gun. you want to pump until fresh grease is oozing out under under the seals. on some grease guns, there is a clip holding the rod from going in at the end. you need to make sure its not holding when you pump.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Dang it, and to think I've seeing this thread in the sticky, but never cared to bother looking at it until now :), mine has 63k miles, and I doubt the dealer have been doing anything with the zerks as they never mentioned anything about them. They were doing my oil changes every 10k miles or so, but i started doing this myself now 3 weeks ago, I'll see if I can grease the zerks next weekend, I also need to worry about the ones in my MT rear lower links as well.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
the way I look at the whole fear of hydrolock is if the seals are working properly, it will not hydrolock because grease would simply ooze out releasing the pressure. in fact thats how the grease lubricate the spines. the reason why people have issues hydrolocking their slip yokes is usually never greasing them causing dirt and rust building up around the seals. it should be fixed if that happens but you definitely do not want to put too much grease in it or it will pop out the pressure relief cap.
the front slip yoke does not extend much because the front diff does not move unlike the rear diff. if grease is oozing out it will not hydrolock.
the u-joints should have grease coming out when you pump the grease gun. you want to pump until fresh grease is oozing out under under the seals. on some grease guns, there is a clip holding the rod from going in at the end. you need to make sure its not holding when you pump.
So, I stopped by my local auto shop and the head mechanic said not to worry about hydrolocking the yokes/driveshaft zerk's. He did however say that if you fill it with grease until it comes out it will end up on the underbody and garage floor or driveway.

He said the 10 pumps I put into the yokes was fine and that the U joints are probably sealed and full. I had the same results with my black FJ and the other half's Magma FJ.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
So, I stopped by my local auto shop and the head mechanic said not to worry about hydrolocking the yokes/driveshaft zerk's. He did however say that if you fill it with grease until it comes out it will end up on the underbody and garage floor or driveway.

He said the 10 pumps I put into the yokes was fine and that the U joints are probably sealed and full. I had the same results with my black FJ and the other half's Magma FJ.
yes if you do fill it up some will come out. the solution is after you grease, start the engine and drive forward and back a couple of times slowly so the grease will come out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do you guys have two grease guns? One for the Moly grease and one for non moly or is everyone using one grease for all zerks?

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
I think most have one and think that's all that is needed. I have two. And use what is called for... amsoil for both types

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
i use two. but one will work fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I use two grease guns. One for the zerks on the slip yokes that require moly grease and one for the other zerks that require non-moly grease. Amsoil carries both types.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Since I didn't know better, I bought a mini grease gun from Pepboys, and grabbed the first grease tubes I found right beside the grease gun that will fit it. Grease is black, lol, #2 lthium or whatever, smell like grease and works like grease is supposed to work , once I run out, I'll probably pay attention to the moly synthetic, goldish titanium special grade needed, but will probably forget the name, and will ended up buying conventional grease again. I use the same stuff in the johnny joints as well for my lcas.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Some grease is better than no grease.
Pump until old grease oozing out on all 6 zerks and then you are good to go.
Use your finger to scoop out the u-joints so they dont make a mess of your under carriage but it really does not matter.
On average one tube lasts me about two greases.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
141 - 160 of 182 Posts