Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a shower today from Cabelas.
I received a $20 off coupon last week, and decided to take advantage of it.
The shower will be here Friday.

Zodi Hotman Extreme shower

Info from Zodi's site

You can even use it as a cooker, that is the bottom heater part

The showerhead itself only has an on/off valve on it.
Many replace the head with a kitchen faucet sprayer so they have more control over it.
I will hit up Lowes over the weekend and pick one up.

I will be able to setup the shower too in my Pett crapper tent enclosure.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Nice Corey, I looked at those awhile back. There is another one I'm looking at the hooks up to the engine to supply the hot water and it is flush mounted inside. Make sure you post up on how well it works. :)

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will do Mike.
I have a whole slew of gear I will be reviewing after I get out on a trip.

I have seen the underhood ones.
I was going to put on of them on the 4Runner, but never got around to it.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Corey, I made a comment/question on this setup in the other thread, but I'll repeat it here. I've also been looking at ways to make the camping experience more palatable for my family so I've looked into privacy shelter/pett setups and also the hot shower systems. The one that I looked in to is Hot Tap On-Demand Hot Shower #6185. I like the speed and convenience, but honestly have not looked at too many systems yet. Did you get a chance to look at this particular setup? It's $150 on the Zodi site, but Costco has it with hard case and only $99.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Looks pretty cool, let us know how well it works.:D

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think we cross posted, I added comments over in the other thread, but will copy it here.
Yes, same company that makes the one I just ordered.
I went with the hand pump one, as I read a ton of reviews on both, and the hand pump one is more reliable, and also has greater water pressure than the red battery operated one.

I also read over on Expedition Portal where a guy tapped into the side of the tank housing on the model I got and added a fitting, and he can run his Powertank to supply even more pressure, and take a better shower with it.
I would give this one a try, I think you will find it more reliable than the red one.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I'm just concerned with how much effort is needed with the hand pump one. I don't want to be tired after a shower.

·
Registered
465 Posts
forgot what forum I saw it on ? but think it was expedition portal a guy took his zodi tank one which many use a bug sprayer bottle for :)

and put in a air valve and just hits it with his compressor no pumping :)

I am in the look for a hot water shower setup

also looking at the coleman thing ?

also going to find out more about this on the trailer
Omega 2000 Group

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I've got this one and it heats the water like a champ. The battery powered pump sucks and I've had nothing but problems with it. I've since purchased an on demand 12 volt pump that is made for RV's. I haven't used it yet but I'll post my setup once I do.

Corey, I made a comment/question on this setup in the other thread, but I'll repeat it here. I've also been looking at ways to make the camping experience more palatable for my family so I've looked into privacy shelter/pett setups and also the hot shower systems. The one that I looked in to is Hot Tap On-Demand Hot Shower #6185. I like the speed and convenience, but honestly have not looked at too many systems yet. Did you get a chance to look at this particular setup? It's $150 on the Zodi site, but Costco has it with hard case and only $99.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I would like to see someone try this method...feeds from local creek or lake water. Wish I had a pic of the PVC shower head unit that threads onto the brass fittings on the outside. I've used this shower personally and it gets really hot, really fast. You have to run the cold water first then slowly turn on the hot water. But once you've got it set it's pretty consistent temp throughout.
Cruiser shower - IH8MUD™ Forums

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is the vehicle mounted one I almost got many a year ago.
http://www.hotcampshowers.com/

VEHICLE MOUNTED HOT WATER SHOWERS

You can mount the quick disconnect hose fittings on your ARB bumper front or rear.

The prez of WATTORA has that setup on his Tacoma.
I really do not want to cut my heater hoses on the FJ though, hence why I am going for the Zodi.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I've got this one and it heats the water like a champ. The battery powered pump sucks and I've had nothing but problems with it. I've since purchased an on demand 12 volt pump that is made for RV's. I haven't used it yet but I'll post my setup once I do.
Thanks for the info. That was very helpful!

Corey, could you give us more feedback once you've tried it? Specifically, things like how often you need to pump it and the flow rate would be very useful.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info. That was very helpful!

Corey, could you give us more feedback once you've tried it? Specifically, things like how often you need to pump it and the flow rate would be very useful.

Thanks.
Will do Fj.
I think the key is to get wet and turn the flow off and then lather up.
Then turn the flow back on again.

James in the thread I linked to over at Expo has his pictures back up again.
He said there is plenty of water left over doing the above to relax.

If the weather is crappy this weekend and I do not get to detail my rig, I will take the shower outside and pump it up and see how long it goes with a continuous flow before running out of pressure or water.

James also said he prefers the unit to run on its own pressure.
Using his onboard air drains the water way to fast.

·
965 Posts
My FJ-40 has the hot water heat exchanger which works great especially with the 350 heating the water.

I like the idea of the portable shower for the FJC, might have to retire my solar showers for this, but my solar showers are green, but not as convent.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Alright everyone I got this exact set up (Zodi extreme shower) last year for our camping needs. I already have the shelter from cabelas.com and the PEET system. I like this set up very much. It is really portable and works great. I fill up the tank & heat it up. It takes about 10-20 min to heat up depending on how hot you like your water. There is enough water in the system for me and the wife to take a shower. you need to pump it up like 10 or 15 times at the start and it holds good pressure to get wet. you will have to give it a couple of pumps at the end just to keep the pressure up. its also great to heat up water for dishes. The one feature I like is you do not need to use your stove to heat up the water. It uses a green propane bottle. not sure how long it will last on one bottle. You just need to keep the pump well oiled. During the off season it kind of sat for a while and did not want to work that well.. A couple drops of oil fixed the problem.. Really great set up and there is nothing like a hot shower when your camping. its really nice when its your own shower too..:clap:

One thing I would get for mine is the shower pole. That would make it a nice hands free shower..

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have the 2 burner version, that I got from Paul Decker (www.hotcampshowers.com) -- It works great. I didn't have problems with my pump.

I use a smaller "action packer" to carry the shower and propane bottles, and then use that container to draw water. It heats up very well, and has a decent flow.

It is important to note that with the Propane heaters, you must have water flowing at all times, or you will cook the whole system. You can't turn water off/on, or you may scald yourself.

I have a shower tent, and it will be in use at Rubithon this year.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts