#1 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Hub/Wheel bearing failure and replacement

As mentioned in a previous thread, both front bearings have excessive play in them which the dealer denied for warranty repair due too "larger tires and lift". So i was forced to replace myself. I thought I would document the work along the way as I haven't found a complete DIY thread with pix.

Parts Required:
43570-60010 - bearing
90312-96001 - Hub seal
90316-A0001 - Spindle seal
90301-92003 - O-ring

New bearings and hub seals.

Whats not shown is the o-ring that goes behind the bearing assy. and the oil seal that is pressed in the spindle itself.

Start by removing the "grease cap". Why is it called this? There is no grease inside! I read some threads where people were having trouble removing this. I got each one off in under 5mins. The trick is placing a screwdriver like this and hammering away, all the way around the cap. Then pry off once its loose.

Then using a 35mm socket and someway to immobilize the hub, pop the drive axle nut loose.

I then removed the caliper and speed sensor. This was my first clue something was amiss. When i removed the sensor the tip of it was covered in a sticky muddy goo.

Speed sensor

Next, pull the rotor off and remove the four bolts holding the bearing assembly to the spindle. You wont be able to fully remove them but loosen as for as they go (they end up butting up to the hub). I gave the axle stub a whack (rubber mallet) to make sure it was free to slide in the hub. Then beat the pi$$ out of the bearing along the 4 bolted flange. I had to use a chisel along the edge to get it to start to break free. This was the most laborious step so far. Once off this is what i found.

No wonder the bearing failed! There were pieces of the spindle seal laying in the bottom. The o-ring was broke too, but not 100% sure that didn't happen when removing the bearing assy.

To be continued.... o-rings on order.

07 FJ Voodoo Blue (The Nostromo)

TLCA# 18990
KF7QGC

Last edited by toyo22r; 05-08-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: Hub/Wheel bearing failure and replacement

Hi. How did you diagnose your bearings to have excessive play? I want to check mine now..thanks!

Quick! Reverse!
#3 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Forum Superstar

Send a message via MSN to SKINUM

Quote:
reddyIII previously said: View Post
Hi. How did you diagnose your bearings to have excessive play? I want to check mine now..thanks!
Jack the vehicle up and grab your tire at 12 and 6 o'clock positions. If you can move the wheel back and forth the bearings are shot.

My passenger side needed replacement.......... did the swap last night.

It's not worth doing if you can't drop some f-bombs along the way!

THE BUILD OF SKINUM CLICK HERE TO VIEW
#4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Forum Superstar

Lifetime Supporting Member

Awesome post, I'll be doing this next weekend so good to see a step by step!

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic7470_2.gif
Quote:
cnckart previously said: View Post

Yup thieves are stupid, that's why they are thieves.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 03:31 PM
Forum Superstar

I remember when 4x4's had easily serviced bearings. Seal was under $3, you'd take the rotor/hub off, clean everything out, repack the bearings, put everything back together, and be on your way

This isn't just a Toyota issue. Every new vehicle has "sealed" bearings, when they get water/dirt in them - or wear out - you have to throw away a lot of parts

I am looking forward to more installments from toyo22r: keep up the good work!

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 5AT "C" package, Sun Fusion
2012 Chevy Impala LS, beige, 3.6 direct injected V6
#6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Forum Veteran

Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)

I won't have the o-rings for a few days yet, so I want to get as far as possible without them. The main culprit that failed allowing water, mud etc. into the bearings was the seals in the spindle. In order to replace these you must remove the spindle. Very easy. I started at the bottom ball joint, removing the two 19mm bolts. I placed the floor jack under the lower control arm to support the spring tension. Next remove the castle nut on the upper ball joint but do not take all the way off. Hit the spindle on this flat spot shown in the pic really hard a few times and the ball joint pops right now.. its not under much tension but the nut keeps things from flopping around.

Here is the spindle seal.. it gets driven out from the front with a punch. Installation is just the reverse. Tap sound the circumference until its fully seated.

Now at this point the spindle is ready to go back on and all that is left to do is the bearing assy. After looking at the old one, there is not an easy way to press the bearing of the hub at home w/o some fixturing and a press. However it does appear once the hub is free, pressing the new bearing on can be done in any number of creative ways, big vise, bottle jack, etc. I have a press at work I may use. So to get the old bearing off i used an angle grinder and die grinder and cut cut cut. I probably went a little overboard as what I found is the metal races are tempered hardened steel. Example in the inner race still attached to the hub... Grind a slit in the bearing race and use a chisel. Couple good hits and it cracks all the way through releasing its death grip on the hub. Here is whats left afterwords.

More to follow.....

TLCA# 18990
KF7QGC
#7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

That bearing is the definition of 'Toast'!

Thanks for posting this.

DEWFPO

2007 FJ, 5AT, Sun Fusion Yellow, CQ, UP, GY, RB, 2Q, EL, VS.

Engine Block Heater, '08 Cyclone Pre-Filter, Dual horns, Phillips Osram 70W/65W H4's, RockBlocker and 3M Clear Film, Toyota RearSight Backup Camera.

"Enjoying the Journey"

"Wanted - young, skinny, wiry fellows, not over 18. Must be expert riders willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred"
Original newspaper add placed by William Hepburn Russell, founder of the The Pony Express
#8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Forum Superstar

Maybe this question has already been asked: did you do a lot of water crossing?

The gravel access road to my hobby farm flooded during our general flooding conditions here in Manitoba. I stopped driving through once the water was up to the top of the hubs

I now wish I had stopped crossing when the water was up to the rim, not even touching the hubs

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 5AT "C" package, Sun Fusion
2012 Chevy Impala LS, beige, 3.6 direct injected V6
#9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Forum Veteran

Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)

No not too many water crossings normally. I am pretty convinced this is what did them in... What looks like water and mud is actually very fine silt, left from a mining operation. This crap got into everything.. wasted my idlers the next day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtJlukUGpKA

TLCA# 18990
KF7QGC
#10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I hate mud!! but holy cr@p thats nuts. I broke my block on my tacoma the last time i drove into mud of that consistency. Great video btw.

Jeff B 07, 4X4, Blk, M/T, W/E adjustable, A/P H/D rear lower links, 285 70 17 BFG Mud, Thorley Headers, A/P front bumper, DO rear bumper, DO Sliders, Titan 10,000lb winch, Budbuilt skids, Kenwood DNN991HD, Reverse Cam, CDT Audio ES "braxial" 6 1/2 speakers w/upstage, Helix A2 amp, Galaxy DX 959 CB, Bandi mount, 102" whip antenna, ext spkr. from those now useful headliner spkrs. scan gauge II. Compustar alarm, stinger battery.
"If you don't like it, change it, if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Misc. Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.