Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

How to disable TPMS light

165K views 175 replies 101 participants last post by  neil2010 
#1 · (Edited)
ive had the tpms light on for years, and just ignored it. but i was diving behind my dash today cutting wires to permanantly disable all the abs / trac / vsc warning lights and thought i'd get rid of that ****ing tpms light at the same time.

instructions -

1. unscrew drivers side glovebox and remove (if you dont know how, stop here, search, and then come back)
2. your left with two harness connectors going into the top of the instrumet cluster. the one on the left (driver) is plug (A) and the one on the right is plug (B). we need plug (A)
3. the tpms wire is A32. it is pink with a black stripe. you'll find it on the row of wires closest to the driver position, far left on plug A.

this wire needs a constant 12v to turn it off and trick the system into thinking everythings peachy. either using a scotch lok or, as i did, strip insulation and soldering, you need to connect the tpms wire A32 with the red/blue stripe wire located on the same plug (position A17, same row as A32 wire, opposite side of the plug) Do not cut either wire, just tie them in together so that the A32 shares A17s IGN+ signal.

if youve done it right, the tpms light goes out and you'll never see it again. if you've done it wrong, thats your problem. grab another beer and proceed to step 1.

See less See more
#4 ·
Looking now. Don't have a grey with black stripe wire....??? Far left on plug A is pink w/ black stripe. But the only grey wire I have has red stripe...

#9 ·
I meant the red with blue stripe.... My bad. But can I get a double check that it's the pink w/ black stripe... I'm not a fan of cutting and splicing unless I'm sure.

#10 ·
Just did it! Works perfect!
The wires to join up are:

pink/ black stripe
red/ blue stripe

works perfect. Good find!!!!!

#12 ·
Or you could just avoid any warranty issues and wire hacking by making a TMPS "P1pe B00mb".

Take your wheel sensors off your wheels, wrap them in bubble wrap, then take a tube of PVC. Throw your sensors inside. Seal both ends with PVC caps (you can use a threaded end cap with teflon tape if you think you want to get them out later with out cutting the tube). Drill a hole and thread in a schrader valve. Take the tube over to a compressor and add air till the TMPS light goes out. Throw the pipe in your jack compartment and you truck will never know the difference. Oh, yeah, it is reversible and does not void the warranty.

#18 ·
fu(k the warranty. :)

The only issue i see with the whole pipe tube thingy is getting pulled over - "let us see in your car sir"... next thing you know your cars being torn aapart by a bomb disposal robot while your trying to tell them its only for your tpms sensors.

I used the blue in-line connectors. Did it in under a minute after the compartment was unscrewed. I've been waiting a Long time for this hack to come around! Thanks cruzer!
No problem bro!

#14 ·
That's i used the numbers to stay off lists. I am sure that they would never think to search for "P1pe B00mb"!:bigthumb:

Reactions: Lee44
#17 ·
I used the blue in-line connectors. Did it in under a minute after the compartment was unscrewed. I've been waiting a Long time for this hack to come around! Thanks cruzer!

#21 ·
I could use some advice on this one.

While into the harness and hacking the chimes, I decided to do the tpms diable.

My problem is that in my '08 FJ, when looking at the wires (while the harness is still mounted) the red wire w/blue stripe is not in the slot described in this thread. Instead of being in the same row, far end from the 1st wire pink w/black stripe, my red w/blue is in the back row, second from the far right.

As described in the OP the red/blue should be in the same row (front, when looking at it mounted), but red/blue isn't, it's in the back row 2nd from the far right. I hope that makes sense.

My question is............should I still connect the pink/black with the red/blue or should I connect the pink/black with the wire (green/red) that is in the position stated in the OP which I believe said "same row as pink/black but opposite end of harness".

I really need to know 'cause my interior is still disassembled :mecry:

Thanks Jerry:bigthumb:

#154 ·
I could use some advice on this one.

While into the harness and hacking the chimes, I decided to do the tpms diable.

My problem is that in my '08 FJ, when looking at the wires (while the harness is still mounted) the red wire w/blue stripe is not in the slot described in this thread. Instead of being in the same row, far end from the 1st wire pink w/black stripe, my red w/blue is in the back row, second from the far right.

As described in the OP the red/blue should be in the same row (front, when looking at it mounted), but red/blue isn't, it's in the back row 2nd from the far right. I hope that makes sense.

My question is............should I still connect the pink/black with the red/blue or should I connect the pink/black with the wire (green/red) that is in the position stated in the OP which I believe said "same row as pink/black but opposite end of harness".

I really need to know 'cause my interior is still disassembled :mecry:

Thanks Jerry:bigthumb:
I also have a 2008 FJC, new tires (properly inflated) and now the light is on. I've tried the wire-jump hack, without success. My wires are as Jerry describes above. Has anyone with a 2008 FJC successfully disabled the TPMC? Thanks.

#26 ·
There is no 'bulb' as such - I wish it was that easy - its all circuit boards and LED's! I didnt want to be unsoldering or messing with the circuit board to disable the light.

We dont cut any wires this way, just a simple scotch lock to apply power to the TPMS signal.
Got ya.:bigthumb: On my old 4runner I disabled the ABS, and yanked the bulb to get rid of the annoying light. Good find.:cheers:

#27 ·
I finally got around to trying this today. The red/blue wire is indeed +12v IGN. I used a couple taps to connect this wire to the pink/black TPMS wire. I havent yet had a chance to road test, but I am pretty confident that this will take care of the problem. One small thing to note is that by unplugging the connector from the gauges, it will reset your Trip A and B mileages.

Here is the connector with the taps:

Major thanks to !Cruzer! for discovering this! :cheers:

#28 ·
Just remember that if you ever sell your vehicle, you could be liable if anything ever happens in a accident if this is discovered. Think Ford Exploders.

#32 ·
Anyone done this to a 2011 yet?

-FJ Florida-

#34 ·
Subscribed!

Another To-Do to add to my ever-growing list....