Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

FLAT TOW 6MT (YES it can be done)

63K views 98 replies 38 participants last post by  jcwrench 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I am posting this thread as proof that a 6MT can be flat towed w/o issues. I am in no way telling you to do it(warranty), that is up to you. I don't have warranty and I don't really care if my FJ would have gotten damaged, hence giving it a try.

Maybe some of you recall a member here (Brushrunner Joe) also towed theirs over 36k miles w/o incident. I have personally talked to him on the phone and talking with him gave me the courage to also tow mine.

I am posting video proof that shows the FJ behind my Motorhome. Road speed (65mph). Distance traveled at time video was taken(2276). T-case temp, FJ running to show no xmas lights(minus skid and center lock, Tcase in N). I am also posting pics of the FJ hooked up.
As Joe stated in his thread, the Tcase is to be set in N position and the transmission is best set in 4th.
When making turns while towing, the FJs front wheels barely turn. So binding is minimal if at all, more likely to skid with slow speeds. In the video, you'll see the tightest turn I have done with the FJ. It is hard to see, but in the mirror, you can see the FJ barely turning the front wheels.

To date: I have flat towed the FJC 6MT over 4k miles with the longest tow in one day being from Mt.Rushmore to Janesville, WI (830mi). Longest trip was from Chicago to Yellowstonre to Rushmore and back home.

The tow vehicle 2011 Diesel Pusher aka DogHouse

FJC connected to RV

FJC tow setup

Demco Excali-Bar II tow bar
OK offroad 7/8" shackle mount
shackle to tow bar adapter

The video (please excuse the shaky parts)

Fast forwarded to part that gets interesting
2007 6MT FJC Flat Tow - 2m47s

I only had to splice a single wire for my braking/lighting setup.

Again, this thread is not to say to do it, but more to say it can be done.

UPDATE: Wiring Diagrams and parts needed for Electrical

The Tow brake controller I installed is made by USgear
Depending on your RV type, you'll have less or more work. My Diesel Pusher was prewired, so I am only showing the FJ wiring Diagrams.
http://www.usgear.cc/unified_tow_brake.htm
US GEAR for FJ
http://www.usgear.cc/utb_install/utb_installtvh.htm

I also installed a 2 wire to 3 wire converter.
http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Curt/C56196.html
Which allows me to direct tap into the FJCs lighting system.
This allows for all markers lights to be used and all the turn signal lights. And to our luck, the way the FJ is wired, back feed from the RV does not mess up the ECUs. It is internally protected. I tested this by tearing into my FJ (More then just once, since ownership).

The schematic in full with US gear brake system and FJC page numbers

Supplement to schematic (locations of taps)

For the STOP lights, all you have to do is wire into pin 3 of the STOP RELAY
I choose to drill a hole in my relay and solder the wire in the relay (replace relay for uninstall)

For the turn signals, you can either tap the blue and pink wires located behind the interior fuse panel, directly at the turn relay(other locations too, door jam) or you can pull the relay and directly solder on the relay like I did. (Desolder or cut wires for uninstall)
This image only shows how where I routed my wires to the back side(right), I couldn't get a d700 behind there :(

For the Running lights, all you need to do is Add-A-Fuse in the slot next to the 10amp Tail Fuse.
It is literally parallel connected to the 10amp Tail Fuse and is not connected to anything else (easy uninstall).

For the brake booster power, you can either tap at the master cylinder or in the interior fuse box at the plug. I choose engine room, because it is documented on the USgear site. Also, I didn't look to see if there was another spot. (uninstall by removing diodes and reconnecting orange/black wire)

All wires are routed through here

Attachments

See less See more
1 18
#3 ·
Swicago how did you hook up your tow bars to the ARB? I've called about mounting plates but no one can answer me. Any info you have on this would be great, and why fourth. I've also read the article about T/case in the H/road and the trans in neutral but never saw anything more on it. I'm really wanting to tow also thanks.

#4 ·
I bought the Demco Excali-Bar II tow bar, rated at 10'500 lbs (most tow bars are max 5k and with all the mods, my FJ is pushing it).

Then I welded OK offroad 7/8" shackle mounts to the front of the ARB, where it it is boxed in and strongest (I have used them for recovery too).

Last I bought shackle to tow bar adapter made by Warrior Products.

This setup gives allows for easy connect/disconnect of the tow bar and keeps the factory recovery points free for the safety chains.

Last, It is better to put the t-Case in N and the trans in 4th. Joe and I chose 4th because it is in the middle of the trans and least likely to fall out of gear. In theory the trans could be in N too, but then there is risk it could start rotating a bit. Putting it in gear keeps it from moving at all.
I tried putting T-case in AWD and trans in N. That worked too, but the trans heated up to full operating temps(200°F). Only T-case in N, kept temps on T-case around 120°F and trans only had residual heat(about 80°F). I assume the guy that did AWD and trans in N eventually burned up his trans, probably why he never replied to anyone again. I have now done as many miles as that guy and everything is fine. Joe has done 8+ times as much and his FJ is fine too...it is just hard to believe w/o seeing proof. Also, I understand toyota too, why say you can and then deal with warranty claims...I am out of warranty, I could care less LOL

#5 ·
Thanks again. I thought I remembered seeing those shackle mounts before on you FJ in other posts but I just needed to be sure. I went to Loves and weighed my FJ it came in at 5200lbs. I need to shead 200lbs. for my Rv but that won't be a problem. My brother used to bahas and he calls them lead sleads. Lol- have a good one and thanks. ( like your Rv by the way).

#6 ·
I don't think you need to shed any weight. 5000lbs weight limit is when using a trailer. Look at your hitch sticker, it will most likely have a pic of a trailer and 5000lbs next to it and then another pic with a car on all fours with 7500lbs next to it. There is a lot less hitch weight when flat towing.

#8 ·
I've dolly towed before, lots of bounce and sway. Everthing I've read about flat towing sounds like the only way to go.
I was looking at the bolt on shackles, but placement could be a problem. I can weld but with that kind of stress I'd need to find a good shop if I go with the others. My RV says I can go to a total 20,000 lb combind weight and I'm well under that totally loaded. The hitch has 500/5000 max from what I've found on it but I'll take another look.

#10 ·
The paperwork says a trailer can not exceed 5000 lbs. Towed vehicals can not exceed 20,000 lbs total combind weight. I'm at 19,050 lbs combined so I'm good, with some room. Of course I'll disconnect going over mountain areas; let her drive the FJ.
( I'm in a Class-C with the V-10 not a diesel pusher like yours). :cheers:

#13 ·
I'm just curious and have no plans or means to tow my FJ... but would a AT be able to do this? Is that gear-driven pump the same on the AT transfer case?

Why is it best to have the MT in 4th? Doesn't it not move with the transfer case in neutral? Did the temps rise more in other gears? Why would that be?

#14 ·
I'm just curious and have no plans or means to tow my FJ... but would a AT be able to do this? Is that gear-driven pump the same on the AT transfer case?
I do not own an AT, so I don't know...

Why is it best to have the MT in 4th? Doesn't it not move with the transfer case in neutral? Did the temps rise more in other gears? Why would that be?
Already answered this in post #4, go up 10posts...geesh :lol:

#20 ·
Yes, that is the brake controller fuse you see in there. It links the FJ battery and the RV battery together and protects the controller. I chose this spot, because the alternator first connects to the fuse box, before it connects to the battery. So I connected to that stud you see in the fuse box and it is protected from the elements. You can see that fat wiring loom I installed T a bunch of wires in that direction. To the 2-3wire converter and to the fuse/battery.

The main reason I chose USgear over just buying an airbrake adapter was
1: didn't want to risk losing brakes if there is an air leak.
2: usgear is progressive, meaning it has an accelerometer. I brakes harder if you brake hardee.
3: it does not activate brakes on jake brake application or brakes on stand still, but still lights FJs brake lights
4: easy to connect/disconnect
5: great track record

#21 ·
Hey Al, i going to try an add this in a similar fashion to how LCS has them in the tech area, gotta try and figure out how he essentially copies a threads first post, but doesn't change the original thread.... hmmm

If you have any extra updates or pertinent info, can you add as much of it as possible into the first post?

#23 ·
Al call me stupid, but I have no idea what the turn relay behind the fuse panel looks like. (This is the only thing I'm having trouble getting hooked up!) There's a pink and a blue/white stripe wire behind the fuse panel but I can't find any going into a relay with those colors. And at the door I wouldn't know where to start.

#26 ·
Well Al, all hooked up and everything works great but the left turn. I have power going to the left side of curt converter box, but no power coming out for the left side. (I think I got a bad converter box).

I've checked every connection twice and all my grounds are good.

I'll call the trailer place in the morning.

#28 ·
OK Al, Pulled my first two miles! (No breakes yet so just a test run, down to the nearest church parking lot and back). It made the court turn at the end of the block no problem. Pulls like it's not there; untill I hit the fuel pumps I bet.

I had to cut up my mounting brackets and have them welded up to fit right. I went with the "Commander" and the span on the bolts was too long to use spacers.

I've got about a 3-4 inch differance between so I may need a 2-4 riser. If I can remember how to post pic's here I'll get some up next week.

Thanks again for your help! :clap: That first 20ft was real scary by the way. :cheers:

#30 ·
I saw an FJ being flat-towed behind an RV on I-70 in CO a couple of weeks ago. An FJ would make a great toad.

Reactions: jcwrench
#33 ·
Sorry no pics of my rig. I have to get with it.
I read through this entire post on flat towing an FJ. Great info on the MT version. Not so for the AT version. Can anyone explain to me if a 2013 FJ can be flat towed if it is an AT. If so, what do I have to watch out for or deal with before or during towing behind a Class C motorhome that tows over 5K pounds.
I would appreciate any info. I have not towed my FJ yet and prefer to pass on the problems of towing it. I would hate to hurt my baby.

Please fill me in. :bigthumb:

#34 ·
Hey Swicago....
Love the name. I have a 2013 FJ and have done some mods with more to come. Since you seem to be the towing guru, I have one question. You can see that I have asked this on this forum yesterday but have no response yet. So here goes.
I want to flat tow my FJ. It is an AT, not MT. I have read this forum over carefully and nowhere does it say clearly that I can do that. I know there are some crazy alterations I could make to the driveshaft, etc, but is there anything you know that I should know. I definitely don't want to do anything to damage the FJ.
I would really appreciate any info on this you can provide.

#35 · (Edited)
Hey 4x4x4...sorry I didn't see your post earlier. From everything I have read about the AT, you need a drive shaft disconnect. If someone can confirm it is the same transfer case, then I'd assume you could just put the transfer case in neutral too. But since I don't know this for sure, I wouldn't just do it..... You could do what I did, and that is to flat tow behind a friend with tow straps. Stop after a mile and take temperature readings with an IR temp gun. If good tow for 5 miles, repeat...then 10...15...20. Keep taking measurements, until your sure it is ok. Also listen for anything out of the ordinary. Honestly it would not surprise me if you could just straight flat tow it with tcase in N and trans in P.....but again, I don't know much on the AT... so it is all at your risk. If you want to be safe, buy and install the disconnect.

On a side note. Just completed another 400mi trip last weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.