Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Layonnn's 100 Series Land Cruiser

187K views 209 replies 57 participants last post by  Hodges 
#1 · (Edited)
2001 Toyota Land Cruiser UZJ100 in River Rock Green Mica

Factory specs and features:
  • 2UZ-FE V8 engine (230hp and 320ft/lbs)
  • Torsion Bar IFS
  • 4-Link with Panhard rod semi-floating rear axle
  • A-TRAC and VSC equipped
  • 6500lbs tow rating

Tires and axles:
  • 315/75r16 Goodyear MTRs on OEM 16" wheels
  • ARB air lockers front and rear (ARB high output compressor)
  • Nitro 4.88 gears

Suspension:
  • OME torsion bars and 860 rear springs
  • Radflo 2.5" emulsions shocks
  • Hardline Fabrication Services rear upper and lower links
  • 80 series extended rear sway bar links
  • Bump-It Offroad differential drop bracket
  • Custom frame link mount armor
  • Custom 1" body lift

Armor:
  • ARB front bumper (03+)
  • BIOR rear bumper with tire carrier and can carrier
  • BIOR engine skid
  • White Knuckle Offroad rock rails
  • Rear lower shock armor
  • Spressofab V.2 recovery brackets

Electrical:
  • Diehard Platinum primary battery and Yellow Top Optima auxiliary battery
  • Titan 12K winch with synthetic line
  • Rigid Industries 30" LED light bar
  • ARB fog lights
  • CREE LED reverse lights
  • George's LED dome lights
  • 5000K DDM HID low beams
  • JVC 840 headunit
  • Cobra 75 CB

Engine:
  • Doug Thorley ceramic coated headers
  • Safari Snorkel
  • DT catback (ordered)

Miscellaneous:
  • Ellis Precision transfer case knob and optima battery clamp
  • Source C02 tank

I would like to give a big thanks to a few companies that have great customer service and have helped me get my 100 to where it is:
Trdparts4u
Hardline Fabrication Services
Ellisprecision
Metaltech4x4

Two previous build threads, both sold.

2007 FJ Cruiser:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/member-build-ups/57388-layonnns-voodoo-build.html

1997 Land Cruiser (FZJ80)
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/member-build-ups/111649-layonnns-locked-fzj-80-a.html

A lot of folks have asked why i switched from the 80, so here it goes.
I was looking to get new tires, 35" MTRs to be exact. If i was going to go to that size, i'd need to regear to 4.88s, if i was going to regear and have to pull the axles, i need to repack and replace the bearings, WHILE i am doing that, i might as well replaced the rotors and bads, and the rear calipers look like they could use some replacing sometime in the near future, so might as well get to that too. All of this in total, would still have left me with a truck that i wouldn't feel comfortable towing more than ~3K lbs or so with IMO from having towed light loads with it. So, later on, when i finally have enough money saved to get a boat that weighed closed to 5Klbs, i'd have to get a second vehicle just to tow it with.
This towing issue coupled with the price of new 35s, regearing, repacking bearings, new brakes, was going to be a lot of money as well.

On the drive home from Georgia:

Day1:
295/75/r16 BFG All Terrains installed.
Remove running boards.
Remove sun roof wind visor.
Pressure wash and scrub floor mats, vacuum.
Grease the 6 zerks on the drive train.
Un-plug blown subwoofer (need to get speaker to replace, as it sounded great before it blew :) )
Get new Rain-X rear wiper, fix "saggy wiper syndrome"

Running boards on.

Running boards off.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Re: Layonnn's 100 Series 2001 Land Cruiser

Just ordered up the following today 8.17.11:
Rad-Flo 2.5" for frontdone
ARB bumper 03+ done
OME torsion bars and rear coils done
Bump it offroad diff drop kit done
And Safari Snorkeldone

White Knuckle Offroad rock rails were ordered a few days ago. They are being built right now, takes about 2-3 weeks?done

Also, removed hood bug deflector and cleaned/reconditioned all leather seats.

Here are some before and after pics from the bumper and OME install:

Parts laid out

Tear down, in retrospect, removing the grill was not necessary

Done!

OME before and after:
Before

After

Saturday night we spent up at my dad's shop. I installed my diff drop and rear lower shock armor, Hodges installed his snorkel.

Bump it offroad diff drop

#6 ·

Looks good. I don't know why you sold your 80 series. I guess I'm partial, I like them more than the 100's.

#7 ·

Looks great Layton. I can't wait to see it on Labor Day weekend because I know it won't look anything like it does right now. :bigthumb:

#9 ·

Layonnn, This is exactly my future build! Good luck, I've subscribed and will be watching. Did you ever see the 100 build with the SAS (by Slee Off-Road) in Overland Journal? There is a PDF of the article online. Here is a link for the build at Slee with a link for the PDF from Overland Journal!

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/project_vehicles/100SAS-PAUL/100sas_paul.htm

:bigthumb:
Bob

#11 ·

Layonnn, This is exactly my future build! Good luck, I've subscribed and will be watching. Did you ever see the 100 build with the SAS (by Slee Off-Road) in Overland Journal? There is a PDF of the article online. Here is a link for the build at Slee with a link for the PDF from Overland Journal!

Slee - Project Trucks

:bigthumb:
Bob
I actually saw that rig in person at the Lonestar Jamboree. I think he had just gotten it back from Slee.

He destroyed the drivetrain on it the first day of the Jamboree. He was attempting a large ledge (with a little too much throttle from the sounds of it). Apparently the truck bounced (all 4 wheels in the air) and landed with all 4 wheels spinning fast. I can't recall everything that broke, but it was a lot: transfer case, one or two of the front axles, one or two of the rear axles, and something else.

I think he got it all fixed pretty soon after that and has been taking it on some pretty long expedition trips.

#10 ·

Aw, Layton. I hated to see the 80 go, man. There was just something old-school about it.

Good looking 100, though. One thing to watch out for: Looks like from the photos that the front lower link mounts may need some armoring, like what Digger makes for the FJ rear links. They look like they hang down a wee bit. Future mod!

Congrats on the new rig! Oh, just noticed, new BFG's! (still has blue whitewall protector on the inner sides :)).

#13 ·

its looks even better in person. can't wait to help make this thing the beast it deserves to be. im sure you'll be pulling me out of some **** soon enough...
We need to make a trip to the "secret spot" ;)

I am going to go crank up the torsion bars later today, i got a 30mm socket.

#14 ·

I have a question...on the 100 series I have noticed after market torsion bars for sale.
Are the stock ones lighter than the after market ones?
By lifting the front with the stock ones, is there more stress put on them vs. buying the heavier after market ones?
Nice rig you got there...my brother in law just bought a 2001 a while back. His 80 was no wimp so it will be interesting to see what he does to his 100.

#15 · (Edited)

I have a question...on the 100 series I have noticed after market torsion bars for sale.
Are the stock ones lighter than the after market ones?
By lifting the front with the stock ones, is there more stress put on them vs. buying the heavier after market ones?
Nice rig you got there...my brother in law just bought a 2001 a while back. His 80 was no wimp so it will be interesting to see what he does to his 100.
For a torsion bar, the thicker it is, the higher the spring rate. Aftermarket T-bars are usually thicker in diameter (by only a couple of millimeters), to handle heavier loads from steel bumpers, winch, dual batteries.

By cranking the torsion bars, you are not putting more stress on them, you are just changing the equilibrium (static) resting height. Adjusting the torsion bars is very analogous to changing the adjusting collar on adjustable coilovers.

Thanks.
The 80 is a great vehicle and extremely capable offroad even in stock form. I will go into more detail in the first post as to why i made the switch to a 100 series as most think i am a little crazy :)

#20 ·
Hmm, i haven't read anything about that on Mud. I think that would be more of an issue if you cranked the torsion bar up with the tires still on the ground. You are supposed to raise the vehicle before you do any adjusting to the bar to take load off of it.

#25 ·
Thank you once again R.

For those that don't know, GA Traveler took time out of his day to go over and inspect the vehicle and give it a test drive for me. With his "clean bill of health" on the vehicle, i booked my flight.

Thanks again!

#27 ·
waiting on a trail pic first :)

ive got a few mods lined up right now. i am talking to a guy right now about getting a rear ARB locker installed.

#38 · (Edited)
Did that in my garage at work the other night, i should have snapped a pic :)

Sorry if you have already covered this; however, why the switch to the 100 series from the 80? Seem very similar. What is the advantage of one over the other (miles on the vehicle is probably one advantage).
Explained (now) in the OP some of the reasons for the switch.

No problem - didn't mind a bit. Just hope I didn't miss anything on the test run. Your lucky I didn't buy the thing from him after seeing it!!
Everything is great. The floormats cleaned right up with some degreaser and a pressure washer :)

Ha ha....I did the inspection on Layton's 80 for the guy who bought it. I told him he was lucky it wasn't a year later or I might have found a whole lot of **** that was wrong with it ;)....... and then it would have found it's way in my driveway. :bigthumb:
Haha. That rig was setup very nice. I wish i could have swapped that rear bumper over to my 100. It was quite nice having that great of a departure angle.

Yeah. At the rate he's going (FJC -> 80 -> 100), next thing you know, he'll be leaving the Toyota family altogether. Maybe a Landrover? Or even better, a Jeep?
Had a. 81 CJ-7 as first vehicle, then a Jeep Cherokee. I will not be making my way back to jeeps anytime soon, haha.
Same with Land Rovers.
I love working on vehicles. And by "working" i mean adding mods. Not trying to get the thing to run, as is the case with Jeeps and Land Rovers :)

Yeah. At the rate he's going (FJC -> 80 -> 100), next thing you know........
He'll be changing the 100 for a 70!!!

I plan on importing an FJ70 in 2013. That year I'll be able to import one from Venezuela and register it as an antique!!!
70 series are siiiiick. I love the idea of a pickup that is built as a great offroader as well, and with a diesel! You are getting a diesel right?!? :)
I have read through a couple of sweet 70 builds over on mud. This one is my favorite:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/70-series-tech/143839-operation-soa-75-a.html

I predict Layton's next vehicle will be an FJ, thus completing the circle.
I believe the next in line would be a 200 series :)
I really do enjoy the room of having 4 doors. The FJ beats everything else with its looks, but man i like having room haha. I can lay down in mine. Plus, now my pup has air conditioning in the rear :)

Looks good Layonn....seems like forever when mine was still stock! :D

I did the FJ60, FJC, 100 series two step shuffle as well....it is all good!
Thanks Brock. Have definitely kept up with and admired your LX470 build thread. Love your rear bumper.
How do you like the RI LED light bar? I have been talking to Istvan about getting a 30" on the front, pretty positive i am going with an ARB bar up front. I have always loved their bumper style. Some people think it looks like they use the same bumper design on all of their vehicles, i LOVE that. haha. The only ones i have seen i don't like are the ones for the Wrangler.

(I guess) I have a conscience also and like to think I would have done the right thing but if it was a year or so from now, I don't think he would have had the opportunity to sell it to anyone else because I would have hounded the **** out of him to sell it to me. :bigthumb:
And i might have gave it to you a little cheaper if you let me drive your 40 on the trails once or twice ;)

#32 ·
why the switch to the 100 series from the 80?
Yeah. At the rate he's going (FJC -> 80 -> 100), next thing you know, he'll be leaving the Toyota family altogether. Maybe a Landrover? Or even better, a Jeep?

#36 ·
Looks good Layonn....seems like forever when mine was still stock! :D

I did the FJ60, FJC, 100 series two step shuffle as well....it is all good!

#46 ·
I'd love to provide those pictures, but while we were installing the rack at Gobi's shop we found out that their powdercoater mixed up the mounts and sent mounts for a 60 rather than and 80. There was nothing we could do since it was after hours (Gobi's owner and his family came in at ~8PM on a Saturday to meet me to install the rack as I drove through town), so Gobi shipped it for free once they received the 80 mounts (great customer service, especially since it wasn't their fault).

I should have the rack by this Friday, but won't be putting it on until I get the roof/rear hatch free of rust and resprayed, so it'll likely be another 3-4 weeks. I'll definitely get pictures up shortly thereafter, though.

Back on topic -> the new 100 looks great, but you're really slacking - no updates or upgrades for 5 days! Is everything ok? :)

#47 ·
That is definitely unfortunate :(
But great that they are shipping it for free!

I just got back from a beach trip with the family and some other things keeping me quite busy.

The rock rails are being made at White Knuckle. I need to give Radflo a call with some questions about their shocks. And then i need to figure out where to get my ARB bumper from and whether or not to go with a 98-02 or a 03+ ARB bumper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.