Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. I bought a one-gallon kit. It coated my front bumper, my sliders, my trail gear t-case skid and have about 1/4 quart left. The biggest issue I and many other user had was the foam texture roller will break down and leave small chunks on the coating very soon. I have tried some different texture roller from homedepot but they do not produce the same consistent texture. So I recommend buying extra blue foam rollers and change them out often. Don't wait until it starts to break down.
Thank you for the tips. I am buying the paint and supplies today so your timing could not of been more perfect. :smile

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
How did I not see this earlier... amazing. Would you ever consider releasing the CAD file if people wanted to make one for themselves? I've got access to a laser cutter and would def want to get one cut...
Thanks! I wouldn't share this project as there is just too much effort behind it. But for some smaller projects I work on I usually share them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks! I wouldn't share this project as there is just too much effort behind it. But for some smaller projects I work on I usually share them.
Just realized I can't PM...

I am a design engineer with some FEA background. This is the exact same idea I have been kicking around (the 2 piece design with all the structure being in the main skeleton). I really dig that design. I have designed and built quite a few bumpers in my days (mostly for Jeep) but the FJ is my next project. Which design software did you use?

Here is one of my designs...

Attachments

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Just realized I can't PM...

I am a design engineer with some FEA background. This is the exact same idea I have been kicking around (the 2 piece design with all the structure being in the main skeleton). I really dig that design. I have designed and built quite a few bumpers in my days (mostly for Jeep) but the FJ is my next project. Which design software did you use?

Here is one of my designs...
What's the chances of sharing just the model of the FJ to help design around?
That's a great looking bumper and clean design. You did the right thing to go with mostly flat pieces. My design was mostly bends. The set up cost was pretty high and I only made one, so it cost me a fortune haha. I used Solidworks back in college and now i'm using Autodesk Fusion 360.

And sure, i got the FJ 3D model from sketchup library: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/u4d923acc-7a2c-46c9-ba66-d5fe795ab22b/TOYOTA-FJ-Cruiser-2015

·
Registered
48 Posts
That's a great looking bumper and clean design. You did the right thing to go with mostly flat pieces. My design was mostly bends. The set up cost was pretty high and I only made one, so it cost me a fortune haha. I used Solidworks back in college and now i'm using Autodesk Fusion 360.

And sure, i got the FJ 3D model from sketchup library: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/u4d923acc-7a2c-46c9-ba66-d5fe795ab22b/TOYOTA-FJ-Cruiser-2015
What did you use to convert the file to something compatible?

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Great job. The bumper looks fantasic

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #70

What did you use to convert the file to something compatible?
I was never able to convert it into any parametric CAD software. Instead I exported the bumper design in STEPS and inserted into the FJ vehicle model. it was painful that I need to do an export everytime I want to see how it matches.

·
Registered
2010TT 6MT, Grunt 2nd tray-VMax 85Ah AGM-2000W Samlex, RCI skids, Stoptech Cryo Slot Rotors-Trd pads
15 Posts
Love it! Excellent design and execution!

61 - 72 of 72 Posts