Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Tinkerer's T-1 Alpha Build

30K views 63 replies 18 participants last post by  HeisKai 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
For years I have always wanted to start a build thread to document my journey with my FJ. And here I am today:smile

The Name
I like the character of a craftsman, someone who is humble, dedicated and good at creating and making things. I enjoy modifying my FJ equally, if not more than wheeling it. Hence I called myself a Tinkerer. My avatar is the Chinese character in an ancient font for tinkerer if you were wondering.
I work as a mechanical engineer. At least where i work, when we design a new part (injection molded, sheet metal, extrusions and etc), we call the first article samples T-1 (Trial-1). These are always the most exciting parts to receive because they are the first time you touch the real incarnation of your designs. For the first fully functional product we assemble, we call it the Alpha build. Whenever I can, I love to design and fabricate some unique parts for my FJ. Therefore, my FJ is my alpha build with T-1 parts.

Latest Profile Pic

May 2019
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire

December 2018
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Automotive exterior

August 2018
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Car Automotive tire

July 2018
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Bumper
Land vehicle Vehicle Off-roading Off-road vehicle Car

June 2018
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Off-roading Automotive tire

Baby Pic
This is within 1 months I got my FJ new. As you can see, it was covered in plasti-dip ?
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Toyota fj cruiser Automotive tire

Data Sheet
2013 AT with off-road stuff

Front Suspension:

Auto part Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle Suspension part

Rear Suspension:
  • Toytec Superflex Medium + Bilstein 5100s (SOLD)
  • OME60071L (in my garage)
  • MetalTech 1st Gen Medium Long Travel Springs
  • Modified Bilstein 5160s for Long Arm JK (25-187632)
  • MetalTech Offset Lower Links
  • Icon Double Adjust Panhard
  • Timbren Active Off-road Bump Stops
  • ADDCO 2301 Swaybar + Skyjacker Links
  • eimKeith Panhard Correction Bracket
Bumpers:
Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

Armors:
  • TRD TTUE Front Skid
  • RCI Integration Plate
  • Ricochet Transmission Skid
  • Trail Gear T-Case Skid
  • Icon Stainless Steel Rear Shock Skids
  • RCI Lower Link Mount Skids
  • Boztec Rear Diff Skid
  • Pure FJ Sliders
Engine Vehicle Auto part Car

Wheels and Tires
  • Walker Evans 17" True Beadlock Wheels
  • 35-12.50R17 General Grabber X3 Red Letter
Tire Automotive tire Rim Wheel Alloy wheel

Drive Train
  • RCV +3.5" Extended Axles (D60 Outter/Plunging 930 Inner)
  • 4.56 Nitro Gears
  • ARB RD121 Front Air Locker
Auto part

Other Notable Accessories
  • Lifetime LED Amber/White Flush Mount Fog Light
  • Superwinch Tigershark 9500SR
  • ARB High Output Air Compressor CKMA12
  • RhinoRack 49" Pioneer Platform + ARB Rack Fit Kit (Instant $150 Saving!!)
  • Smittybilt Overlander RTT
  • Auxbeam Aux-trend series 21" Light Bar
  • Baja Designs LP9 Pro

See less See more
#5 ·
Nice rig! Great job on that bumper! :cheers:

Reactions: HeisKai
#14 ·
Front Locker

Today I did some trail run at Rausch Creek Offroad Park in PA. It was the first offroad run after installing 35 MTs, regear and front air locker. All these 3 mods were huge improvement in offroad performance. Here is a demo of a boulder climb with front and rear locker engaged. The incline was quite high so the front suspension was almost constantly at full droop. Mud was wet and the boulder climb was sharp. Wouldn't have made it up with this speed and control without the added front locker. I would recommend getting a front locker to any one who wants to improve rock crawling performance. It also engages and disengages much faster than the factory E-locker.

#63 ·
Front Locker

Today I did some trail run at Rausch Creek Offroad Park in PA. It was the first offroad run after installing 35 MTs, regear and front air locker. All these 3 mods were huge improvement in offroad performance. Here is a demo of a boulder climb with front and rear locker engaged. The incline was quite high so the front suspension was almost constantly at full droop. Mud was wet and the boulder climb was sharp. Wouldn't have made it up with this speed and control without the added front locker. I would recommend getting a front locker to any one who wants to improve rock crawling performance. It also engages and disengages much faster than the factory E-locker.
that looks good.

I have the ARB rack but I want to change out just the basket.

So no modifications needed to go with the rhinorack?

I also just noticed ARB sells a new rack similar to the Rhinorack now. I wonder if it costs similar and would also just drop in.

#15 ·
An exciting project this weekend. 49" RhinoRack Pioneer Platform installed with a twist. Instead of using RhinoRack's own backbone ($369 MSRP), I used the ARB rack fit kit 3720100 ($196 MSRP). Depending on where you buy them, you can realistically save about $100 - $150 dollars buying everything new! Only thing you lose is the marginal weight saving from speed holes on the RhinoRack. And I actually like the no hole look better.

#16 ·
Rhino Rack and Smittybilt Roof Top Tent

I have been enjoying every bit of my new Rhino Rack. This past weekend I mounted my Smittybilt RTT and took it out for a test camp. Really stepped up my camping game.

I also picked up a set of Maxtrax for a friend so i threw them on just to take a look. Man they looked OVERLAND AF!!!:rofl: I like the look so much but maxtrax is just too expensive for me to use comfortably. So I ordered a pair of X-Bull and a pair of OFFROAD BOAR from Amazon (i guess the Chinese really like to use animal for names lol). I'm doing a overland trip in VT this weekend so I'll see how they hold up against the test!

Land vehicle Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Tire Vehicle Car Regularity rally

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive tire Tire

#17 ·
I like the fender notches and ARB mounting solution. I was going to mix and match similar to your selection but couldn't sell my current rack. Glad to see yours worked and is a good fit. The Baja rack parts look like scrap metal compared the arb/rhino mount kits.

OVEEEEERRRRRLAAANDING.

#25 ·
Pitbull Rocker Radial Tires

Picked up these wild 35 Pitbull Rocker Radials from Craigslist earlier this week. I paid $300 for all 5. 1 is whiskery new with 22/32 tread. 2 are 17/32 and 2 are bald with 12/32. Manufactured in April 2016. It was a pretty good deal. What's more lucky was Pitbull was having 50% off sale on their website ending that day. So i ordered 2 new ones to replace the bald ones.

The shoulders on these bad beast are just radically mad with zero f given. They make my 35 General Grabber X3s look like sensible all terrains tires. So you ask why I'm ditching my newly installed Grabber X3s? Wait to see what wheels I'm getting:wink

Tire Automotive tire Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Vehicle

Tire Synthetic rubber Tread Automotive tire Auto part

#37 ·
So…I decided to give up on mounting the Pitbulls. I just don't have enough balls to do more cutting and fitting. The side lugs and deep tread bite hard on rocks but also fenders.

I'm posting them for sale on Craigslist for 500. But if any forum members here with higher quantity of balls want these badass tires, I'll sell them do you for 300, which was what I paid.

#40 ·
Bead Lock Wheel Install

So I chickened out and sold the Pitbulls. After looking at all different MTs and current promotions, I bought the General Grabber X3s again in 35X12.5R17. But this time, I got those horse power adding red letters:wink

Following the instructions from the internet, the process went pretty well, except for i forgot to put in the balancing media on the first one lol. So i had to take it apart and re-torque 24 bolts. There are plenty install videos online so I did a short time-lapse shot just for viewing pleasure.

I will be heading to Appalachian Toyota Round-up on 8/30 to test out the beadlocks for the first time. Anyone here going?

Tire Automotive tire Rim Wheel Alloy wheel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.