Rear diff lok on demand hack - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids This area is for discussion, questions and problems with the FJ Cruiser's gear train, including topics on A-TRAC, VSC, locking diffs, gear ratios, manual vs. AT, etc.

45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 191 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rear diff lok on demand hack

I did this hack for the second time last weekend and had to look back in previous posts to see how this hack was done (the last posts were about six months ago) I found the posts but had a real hard time figuring it out because of all the technical mumbo jumbo going on at the time. I thought I'd re-write this simple procedure for others to see.

This hack lets you engage the rear diff lok at anytime, 2 hi, 4 hi or 4 lo, at any speed the vehicle is going. As an added benefit, when you engage the diff lok you disable traction control, VSC, and ABS brakes (well, disabling the ABS is of no benefit but no loss either cause you should be off road in mud or sand or something)

Here's how it's done.

Remove the foot rest and kick-panel on drivers side. Locate blue box (diff lok control module) Remove single bolt holding it in place and unplug harness. Fish harness around other harnesses so you have some wire to work with. Locate the white wire with a blue stripe(don't get confused, there is also a blue wire with a white stripe, don't touch this one) Cut the white wire with a blue stripe leaving enough wire to re-connect later should you want to. Tape up the end that goes into the harness. Add a small length of wire to the plug side with an eye at the end. This will go under module attaching bolt on re-assembly. Locate purple wire with a red stripe. Cut and tape both ends, this is the speed control wire. Re-assemble with white with a blue stripe wire grounded out under mounting bolt. That's it. To use, just press the rear diff lok button and have fun. It's pretty cool seeing two rooster tails behind you as you floor it through a muddy field in two wheel hi (with the farmers permission of course). Donuts are a blast too.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 191 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 05:44 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Rear diff lok on demand hack

Just to clarify a little when he says "at any speed the vehicle is going" this does not mean you can turn it on at any speed(that would be bad) but rather you can go as fast as you want with it engaged. You must be going <5mph to turn it on I prefer to stop.
Harryk1100 likes this.

"Because in the end it has almost nothing to do with the bike and everything to do with setting
out to accomplish something that is intimidating, that is unknown to you, something you know you
have a good chance of failing at but doing it anyways and slowly but surely proving yourself wrong."

Mike Ambs

www.corva.org
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Aequitas - Veritas
post #3 of 191 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

No, I mean if you are going 100 mph and hit the button, you lock the rear differential.
TexasGMG likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 191 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 07:25 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
31moppie previously said: View Post
No, I mean if you are going 100 mph and hit the button, you lock the rear differential.
thats bad, real bad, don't do it!
Harryk1100 and mtbdude like this.

"Because in the end it has almost nothing to do with the bike and everything to do with setting
out to accomplish something that is intimidating, that is unknown to you, something you know you
have a good chance of failing at but doing it anyways and slowly but surely proving yourself wrong."

Mike Ambs

www.corva.org
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Aequitas - Veritas
post #5 of 191 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 08:03 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

this mod is purely for drifting, nick hogan style.
BuffaloesFJ likes this.
post #6 of 191 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 08:10 PM
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=31moppie;581347]I did this hack for the second time last weekend and had to look back in previous posts to see how this hack was done (the last posts were about six months ago) I found the posts but had a real hard time figuring it out because of all the technical mumbo jumbo going on at the time. I thought I'd re-write this simple procedure for others to see.

This hack lets you engage the rear diff lok at anytime, 2 hi, 4 hi or 4 lo, at any speed the vehicle is going. As an added benefit, when you engage the diff lok you disable traction control, VSC, and ABS brakes (well, disabling the ABS is of no benefit but no loss either cause you should be off road in mud or sand or something)
Well actually there is a benifit to disabling ABS especially in Sand or Loose Dirts because it allows you to build up a mound of soil to stop the vehicle faster

post #7 of 191 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
jeshua previously said: View Post
thats bad, real bad, don't do it!
My mustang has a spool in the rear end and does 120 mph in the quarter. It works just fine thank you.
post #8 of 191 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
My mustang has a spool in the rear end and does 120 mph in the quarter. It works just fine thank you.
Sure.. it works great in a straight line..

..cornering on the other hand wouldn't work out so well.
post #9 of 191 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 04:32 PM

Doing 100-120 mph is not the issue. Engaging the locker at 100 mph is the bad thing.
Kevin108 likes this.
post #10 of 191 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 04:47 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
Quote:
BCFJ previously said: View Post
Doing 100-120 mph is not the issue. Engaging the locker at 100 mph is the bad thing.
Ya what he said. It isn't going that fast with a locker that is the issue but rather turning it on while going at speed, really anything over 5 would be bad I don't even like to do it at 5.

I have done this hack, and use it a lot.I have used it 200 mile in 2 days in Baja running the 500 course with top speeds around 70 in the dirt so it isn't the speed that is the problem but when you turn it on.

Mike Ambs

www.corva.org
- Thomas Paine

Aequitas - Veritas

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in