Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

321 - 335 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok. I went through all these posts and still can't figure this out.. Looking at these rims..https://www.extremecustoms.com/product.php?item_id=171725&c-vid=165517 18x8 with +12 offset. Plan on running nitto ridge grappler 285 65 r 18.. Ridht Now, I am running 285 70 r17 goodyear fierce attitude.. Not sure if the offset here is going to create too much backspacing.. not sure if that is even a issue running 18inch rims.. I did see on page 1 that the reccommended offset would be 0 or -15.. I was just thinking logically the tire width is the same as previous tire and the offset is similar so why wouldn't it work???? the fierce attitude tires are 33 and the nittos are 32.56. I am running with no lift and no rubbing currently..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello everyone,

I'm gonna be straight forward and say I'm new to all this. I've read over hundreds of post, and am getting confused...lol

I have a 3" procomp lift with a rough country upper control arm installed on my fj. No bmc done and really don't want to if I don't have to...not doing any rock crawling. I want to keep my rims 17" and like the black rhino rims with the general grabber 285/70/17. My question is will these fit? Know stock alloy rims I have are 7.5 I think and black rhino rims are 9.5" wide. Am I gonna have rub on the body mount or the uca? Thanks for any input.

I'll keep studying the guides

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Here is my latest set of 16" wheels and tires:

Pro Comp 16 x 8 series 29 BS 4.5" offset 0
Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP (2019) 305/70/16 OD 33.1"

Everything fits great. No rub at angle or articulation and NO BMC. Caliper clears.

Alignment adjustment and fit accomplished with tubular UCA with 1.25" uniball joint.

Suspension is Toytec Ulitimate 3" lift with heavy duty springs.

This is a new tire from Dick Cepek that looks and rides great so far with 45k mileage warranty. Aired down to 15 psi on a rocky, rutted trail this weekend and the tire felt great. Great price too! I'll update after logging some more miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
G'day all from Australia.
Awesome forum you guys have.
Very happy new FJ owner here :smile

Currently have stock rims and new 275/70-17.
No sweat, plenty of clearance.

Ive been offered a set of 285/70-17 on KMC 17x9 rims with -12 offset.
Will be getting a small 2" lift next week.

Will the 285's on these rims clear without the BMC?
If not, will the 275's on these rims clear everything?

After going through this thread Im thinking the -12 rim is possibly the downfall of this combo.

Many thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Most likely gonna need the bmc for the 285/70/17...I'm running a set of general grabbers atx in the same size and have slight rub when wheel is turned. Mostly in reverse. Just waiting to have time to chop. Not sure about the 275

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,852 Posts
G'day all from Australia.
Awesome forum you guys have.
Very happy new FJ owner here :smile

Currently have stock rims and new 275/70-17.
No sweat, plenty of clearance.

Ive been offered a set of 285/70-17 on KMC 17x9 rims with -12 offset.
Will be getting a small 2" lift next week.

Will the 285's on these rims clear without the BMC?
If not, will the 275's on these rims clear everything?

After going through this thread Im thinking the -12 rim is possibly the downfall of this combo.

Many thanks
Gday mate,
Baz from Sydney.....welcome to the Blue Room.

The issue will be the offset ....for sure....
You say, you have been offered a set of rims.... Why is the seller getting rid of them?....probably cos it's too much offset.
Going from plus 15 ...to minus 12 ....that's 27mm swing.
You might get lucky if you can push the castor along way forward....but that could mean new UCA's...to get enough castor...
But be ready to do a BMC... And possibly after market UCA's....to gain extra castor...
Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gday mate,
Baz from Sydney.....welcome to the Blue Room.

The issue will be the offset ....for sure....
You say, you have been offered a set of rims.... Why is the seller getting rid of them?....probably cos it's too much offset.
Going from plus 15 ...to minus 12 ....that's 27mm swing.
You might get lucky if you can push the castor along way forward....but that could mean new UCA's...to get enough castor...
But be ready to do a BMC... And possibly after market UCA's....to gain extra castor...
Cheers
Baz
Thanks Baz :cheers:
Yeah 27 mm is a bing change.
Think Ill give them a miss.
He did say he had the BMC and had sold the vehicle.
Im happy to stick with the 275 for now since they are new and will look for a set of rims with the correct offset.

I wonder if these -12 rims would with with the 275's that Ive got or if I should look for some 0 offset rims?

Cheers
Marc

·
Premium Member
10,852 Posts
Thanks Baz :cheers:
Yeah 27 mm is a bing change.
Think Ill give them a miss.
He did say he had the BMC and had sold the vehicle.
Im happy to stick with the 275 for now since they are new and will look for a set of rims with the correct offset.

I wonder if these -12 rims would with with the 275's that Ive got or if I should look for some 0 offset rims?

Cheers
Marc
G'Day Mate,
Might be a good call to stick with the 275 for now.
The rims could be too wide for a 275, some tyre shops may not want to fit them.
I'm currently running 275 on zero off set ( 8.5 inch width), its a v good package.... its just a shame hardly anyone carries 275/17 in Aust. the choices are limited.
I'll have to move to a 285/70 next....
cheers
Baz

·
Registered
5 Posts
G'Day Mate,
Might be a good call to stick with the 275 for now.
The rims could be too wide for a 275, some tyre shops may not want to fit them.
I'm currently running 275 on zero off set ( 8.5 inch width), its a v good package.... its just a shame hardly anyone carries 275/17 in Aust. the choices are limited.
I'll have to move to a 285/70 next....
cheers
Baz
Thats weird.
I had the opposite issue, I was struggling to find 285 BFG's, no stock.
That was why I went 275's.
That was only last week.
Maybe depends on the dealer, I didnt really shop around too much.

Think Ill look for similar rims at 8.5 x 17, 0 offset.

Can I ask what wheels you got?
Im struggling to find anything close to a 0 offset.

Cheers
Marc

·
Registered
54 Posts
OK all you blue room gurus, I have a question. I had a tire guy tell me that 07 FJs came with EITHER a +15 or a 0 offset and that the only way to tell was to pull a tire off and look at the inside of the wheel. He seemed knowledgeable and looked it up in his massive book but this seems odd.

I'm trying to upgrade to 305/70/17s and so I need new wheels. Getting the body mount chop done tomorrow. I have 285s now with maybe a little rub

Thanks for any help you can offer - I've been doing my research but this is the first of heard of this. I thought the stock wheels were +15 so going to 0 would push them out a bit and widen the stance

·
Premium Member
10,852 Posts
Thats weird.
I had the opposite issue, I was struggling to find 285 BFG's, no stock.
That was why I went 275's.
That was only last week.
Maybe depends on the dealer, I didnt really shop around too much.

Think Ill look for similar rims at 8.5 x 17, 0 offset.

Can I ask what wheels you got?
Im struggling to find anything close to a 0 offset.

Cheers
Marc
G'day Marc,
hahaha, BFG is the one tyre I would never fit..... just don't like em.
I prefer Coopers' .... current set have 150K on them.... and never chunk off....

I looked for the "right" rim for several years, and found what I wanted in the US, so I imported the rims, and saved a heap in the process....
The US has a massive range - compared to Aust. and so much cheaper ( supply n demand ) ....

Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK all you blue room gurus, I have a question. I had a tire guy tell me that 07 FJs came with EITHER a +12 or a 0 offset and that the only way to tell was to pull a tire off and look at the inside of the wheel. He seemed knowledgeable and looked it up in his massive book but this seems odd.

I'm trying to upgrade to 305/70/17s and so I need new wheels. Getting the body mount chop done tomorrow

Thanks for any help you can offer - I've been doing my research but this is the first of heard of this. I thought the stock wheels were 0 offset
The very first post in this thread state the stock rim is a 15 mm offset.

Quote:

"Stock FJ cruiser wheel sizes
16x7.5 Alloy TRD 29lbs
17x7.5 '07-'10 Alloy 26lbs
17x7.5 '10-'13 Alloy 29lbs
17x7.5 Steel 31lbs

6x5.5 (6x139.7 metric) bolt pattern
15mm offset or 4.84" backspace"

·
Registered
5 Posts
G'day Marc,
hahaha, BFG is the one tyre I would never fit..... just don't like em.
I prefer Coopers' .... current set have 150K on them.... and never chunk off....

I looked for the "right" rim for several years, and found what I wanted in the US, so I imported the rims, and saved a heap in the process....
The US has a massive range - compared to Aust. and so much cheaper ( supply n demand ) ....

Cheers
Baz
Cool, thanks
Cheers
Marc

·
Registered
10 Posts
So, here I am reading through this thread, hoping something would pop out at me...nothing. :| Don't get me wrong, there is a LOT of great information and insight here, just not exactly what I have been looking for. I am trying to find 15x8" wheels with a 106.1 center bore, 6x139.97/5.5 bolt pattern. Every place I go wants either "vehicle specific" information, forcing me to view only OEM spec wheels OR they don't list the center bore so I can be certain I am getting the correct fitment. And, given my lack of knowledge in this area, maybe I am wanting something that just doesn't exist. Can someone with infinitely more knowledge than me point me toward VERY PLAIN BLACK (like the Trail master TM9) 15" wheels that would work on my '07 Cruiser? If 15" are not available in a workable size, then I am looking for VERY PLAIN (see attached picture) 16" wheels...ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

321 - 335 of 335 Posts