Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

The first $2000

196K views 177 replies 120 participants last post by  darksidetourist57 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
JUST MY OPINION

2 Days ago (Death Valley, California)

One week ago (Kanab, Utah)

DUSTPARK high Centered (Deep Creek, California)

UNDERACTIVE swamped (Azusa Canyon, California)

I just returned from a run in the Death Valley area (Ballarat/Panamint Range) with POKERDAWG and others. He asked me to post my opinion on mods for "the road less traveled". What order? I know that everybody has a different opinion on the subject. This is only mine. What is the "road less traveled"? It's an expedition concept that is mild to wild because you NEVER know what you're going to run into. Many unimproved roads change with every rain storm so the trip that you thought was going to be an easy one can suddenly turn into a challenging run.

My philosophy is "getting home". The Scorpion was modified not to be glamorous or make a statement but to get me home at the end of the day.

In order:

(1) Rear lower control arms and leading edge armor plates to protect them. The OEM arms are weak. One good strike on a rock and you can break them. If you break one, you're screwed. You can disconnect a front or rear drive shaft and you can play games with other "getting home" magic, but once you've lost a lower rear, you're not going anywhere.
Recommended: MAN-A-FRE rear lower control arms with bushings. They're heavy duty (most unlikely to break), they are not adjustable because you don't need adjustable rear lower control arms (IMO) and MAF stands behind their products. US$299.00 for the rear lower control
arms. TLC Trailing Arm Skid US$90.00

(2) Tow Straps/Shackles/Recovery gear is very important. I recommend the ARB recovery kit because it's everything in one bag. I bought my components separately and always keep spare shackles.
Price Estimate: 2 x 10,000 lbs 3/4" Pin Bow Shackles - US$13.00 each & 2" x 30' 8,000 Kg Snatch Strap - US$70.00 & Tree Protector 26,000 lbs 3" x 10' - US$50.00 Total: US$146.00 (estimated)
Again, I bought all my components separately and threw them in a bag. The ARB kit is a one stop shop but there are a number of ways to skin that cat.

(3) Skids will protect your vital engine components. I recommend BudBuilt Skids. There are a lot of people out there who will tell you that this skid is better than that one. They're all right. This is just my opinion folks - more armor is better. Bud stands behind his products, he is a small shop and yes, you may have to pay for shipping, but the product is excellent, he's excellent and that's just how it is. US$650.00

(4) Sliders are also necessary. I recommend DeMello Offroad Sliders. They offer maximum protection, Jason DeMello cares about his customers & is one of the most talented FJ Cruiser fabricators there is. I'm proud to call him my friend. $429.00

(5) Hi-Lift Jack with Wabfab slider adaptor. I hate the Hi-Lift Jack, for the record. They're awkward to use, they are big and heavy and they rust when left out on the roof rack or the spare tire (wherever you store them) but they're essential. If you are going to get a Hi-Lift, do yourself a favor and also buy the Wabfab adaptor so the Hi-Lift won't slip off when you're jacking it, damaging your rig, you or both. Hi-Lift (about) US$70.00 & tubing adapter http://www.trdparts4u.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=-6211 US$59.00

For about $2,000.00 (I threw in a couple hundred dollars shipping that you'll pay) you've protected your rig. You have some gear to either recover yourself or to aid others who want to help get you out of a tight spot. Now all you need is to go out, and get practical experience.

Another word: When running "out there", water is important. If you have to walk out of a bad situation, your water jug is nearly useless. Buy some inexpensive canteens. I keep 3 gallons of water in canteens to carry with me if it comes to a hike.

See less See more
#2 ·
Great post Larry. I agree with everything you stated and I have the exact same Philosophy. I made the Raptor to get me out there and back home safe. Thanks for the post buddy :cheers:

#4 ·
Thanks for this Uphill.

I'm happy to know I have many of these items but I'm disappointed that I don't have all of these item. I've purchased 3 sets of tires since FJC ownership but should've routed my early budget to "getting home" must have items.

I'm going to make a point in completing this list.

#14 ·
Thanks for the list Uphill!

I can attest to needing these components. I have everything in that list except the LCAs and #2. That's me in pic #1, and I was lucking that Uphill was there and had the necessary recovery gear. Hindsight being 20/20 you don't want to be lucky, you want to be prepared. You also don't want to be embarrassed when your asked to get out your shackles and strap so that someone can help YOU get out of a situation that YOU got yourself into . . . it's doubly worse when it's in front of Uphill :(

I'm happy to know I have many of these items but I'm disappointed that I don't have all of these item.

I'm going to make a point in completing this list.
I hear ya!

#8 ·
Yes there is. In the pre-run I found it and just had to lead the group through it. Actually when I was there there was standing water where the recovery took place. That was the first of two mud crossings.

#9 ·
Great advise Larry - my next purchase - a set of MAF lower control arms - should have been my first.

:cheers:

#10 ·
NICE LARRY !... Great info and POST, I'd give you
a REP, But... :cheers:

#11 ·
Good thread indeed!! I agree 100%, recovery gear and protection are very important. I wish I had the preverbial nickle for every time I have heard " I dont need a winch, if I get stuck you can pull me out" IMO if you go out on the trails without propery recovery gear you deserve what you get. I see plenty of people with no straps, no shackles, no hi lift (to jack or use as a winch) and no winch.

#15 · (Edited)
Uphill, one comment/question on the list.
The LCA skids consume about 3/8" of space, and the washer on the OEM bolt does not come off. Consequently the bolt, which use to extend about 1/4" out of the nut is now about flush with the nut which kind of makes me uncomfortable. You had an aftermarket bolt that was longer, and greaseable. What were the names of these bolts and where do you get them?

CAUTION For anyone who gets these LCA skids (which I also endorse), I highly recommend you use an impact wrench (or find the proper torque setting) on that bolt. You do not want that nut to come off while you're driving. I had mine hand tightened, with as much mojo as I could, and one side was slightly loose by the end of the DV run.

#22 ·

You had an aftermarket bolt that was longer, and greaseable. What were the names of these bolts and where do you get them?
Sorry about the problem with your All Pro lower control arms. I had a problem with mine too, which is why I recommend Man-A-Fre. Currie grease-able bolts. Currie Enterprises - Rear Ends, Jeep Parts, 4x4 Parts, Ford 9 Inch Rear Ends

You also don't want to be embarrassed when your asked to get out your shackles and strap so that someone can help YOU get out of a situation that YOU got yourself into . . . it's doubly worse when it's in front of Uphill
No, what would be worse is if it happened again after having experienced it and if you were unprepared. There are a lot of people on this forum learning (including me) and you never appreciate what you need and why you need it until -- YOU NEED IT.

what's scary is that one can do (and should) all these mods, and to the casual observor, it will still look like a stock vehicle...assuming nothing else has been done.
My pet peeve (and it's nobody's fault) is guys who do the bling stuff before taking care of what is necessary to get them home. In most cases those guys don't know better. However that's what the forum is about: discussing needful things.

Hey Larry,
Where are the above two pics from?
That's Holcomb Creek - that's the run you were going to join us on last summer!! Unfortunately that trail is closed, likely for the remainder of the year. It has a lot of the same features as John Bull. Because trails change from year to year and during the year and because last winter was so wet, I have no idea what John Bull looks like this year.

There are a lot of rigs that like to run Holcomb Creek. This is one example of a traffic jam on a narrow trail.

Tony, that is Deep Creek from the bottom of the waterfall looking up. I think when you did that run with Marlin you came DOWN the falls.

Another Deep Creek photo. Sean I think that Deep Creek Trail is closed too but I'm not sure on that.

Great pics love the post to good info uphill
Thanks.

#16 ·

If you are going to get a Hi-Lift, do yourself and also buy the Wabfab adaptor so the Hi-Lift won't slip off when you're jacking it, damaging your rig, you or both. Hi-Lift (about) US$70.00 & Wabfab adaptor US$60.00

Did anyone else read through the whole post and notice this??

Great thread Larry. Good list of some important items. I think for down here where there are no rocks just mud and ruts and such, items 1 and 2 would be swapped for order of importance, but that is about it.

#20 ·
Recommended: MAN-A-FRE rear lower control arms with bushings. They're heavy duty (most unlikely to break), they are not adjustable because you don't need adjustable rear lower control arms (IMO) and MAF stands behind their products. US$299.00 for the rear lower control
arms.
Geez...I wish MAF would do a "stimulus package" group buy for this item.

You think if I say it enough they'll do it??

Maybe if Mir207 says it.....it'll happen :wave:

#26 ·
I'm trying to coax something for Ouray - but don't tell anyone and anyway, probably won't happen. But I am trying :)

#24 ·
When you own a Starship FJ, the price of rocket fuel is insignificant. Did NASA complain about the cost of fuel for the Apollo 11 mission? Not after they built the space ship...

See what I mean? 2K for fuel is chicken feed when you have a Lunar buggy!

#25 ·
My philosophy is "getting home". The Scorpion was modified not to be glamorous or make a statement but to get me home at the end of the day.
I'm even safer. It's easiest to get home... if you always stay home. That's why I own an FJC, but always make sure it's either 1. in the shop or 2. i screw up my schedule so I can't go on trips.

This may seem easy to the untrained eye, but it takes a lot of effort to always make sure that whilst I own an FJC, I never actually end up being able to drive it.

And it's cost a lot more than $2k.

:D

#27 ·
Very nice post Larry. :bigthumb:

Getting home is paramount. Doesn't matter the mods if you can't get home. Maybe a little bit of budget should go into some education about wheeling and recovery. Some basic knowledge can save a lot of money. You know, like don't turn on a steep hill, don't stop in loose terrain, don't hit the brakes hard on a steep down hill, etc.

I do recognize the Dishpan pic. Up and down look so different though. That waterfall was something else. One would think the lower section challenging, but once you've done the waterfall, those are nothing but little bumps.

#29 ·
Thanks for this post. I wasn't aware of the lower control arm problem. I'm adding that to imediate wish list. I'm ordering skid plates Friday. Maybe I can order the control arms then??

#34 · (Edited)
I've got everything except the MAF rear lower control arms.

The skid and rails are OEM (that some people think are junk) but no point replacing them until I need to do so. Not sure I do enough off-roading to justify doing the rear control arms, but it's good to know about the weakness and the solution.

How hard is it to replace them on the trail? If it's not that hard, I might buy and carry them as back up parts when going off-road. :thinkerg:

#36 ·
How hard is it to replace them on the trail? If it's not that hard, I might buy and carry them as back up parts when going off-road.
If you don't take the rig off-road much, don't sweat the skids or LCA's. If things change, get a buddy who swapped out his stock LCA's for stronger after market LCA's to let you keep one of his OEM's as a trail spare.

What's involved in the LCA replacement? It looks like a simple bolt on. Is this the case? Any tips?
If you're going to do it on level ground in the shop and you're buying non-adjustable rear LCA's, they swap out easily.

The adjustable LCA's are tricky because they have to be adjusted <perfectly> to make sure that your rear axle is pointed in the "right direction". I had an issue with All Pro adjustable LCA's because they didn't fit in the OEM bracket. I spoke to TLC in Van Nuys, CA and they said that "some fit and some don't". It was a failing common to that part in the past. Maybe they've fixed it? If they haven't you need to bend the 1/4" steel brackets back quite a ways to get the new parts in. I broke my thumb doing it - snapped the bone in half. You live, you learn. Enough said on that score.

If you are doing a trail repair where the rear end is off-camber, in the rocks, etc. You have a potentially challenging repair. If the rear axle is being forced in one direction or another when the LCA breaks, it's going to be off at an angle from "true". Cinch straps (if you thought to bring a set) are a MUST to bring the axle back where it needs to be in order to do the swap-out. So maybe it will be easy and maybe not. It depends on where YOU are. One thing is for sure, until it's fixed, that FJC isn't going anywhere. There's no patch-together fix for what becomes essentially a "free floating" rear axle.

When I was on a run with MUDDYGRRL and others in Death Valley last week, she recounted how when she was with the Toyota Trail Team, her particular team broke six (6) rear lower control arms in a year.

Yes they're thin. Yes they break. No, not on the highway. It's a trail issue. Under mall-crawl rules they'll last the life of the FJC. It's not an inherent weakness in the FJ. It's a weakness in MANY vehicles that take the road less traveled. And it's no different than taking out an insurance policy.