Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

281 - 300 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
20x12 on 33x12.5?

Hey guys , quick question. I have been on stocks way too long! Im tossing the idea around of going with a wheel of 20x12 and a tire of 33x12.5. I know I will need a body mount chop. I assume I need wheel spacers, but what about Upper control arms? So any ideas on tires and wheels or UCA within a fair budget. Also I'm interested in other setups you guys have. Pictures help!
Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Re: 20x12 on 33x12.5?

Hey guys , quick question. I have been on stocks way too long! Im tossing the idea around of going with a wheel of 20x12 and a tire of 33x12.5. I know I will need a body mount chop. I assume I need wheel spacers, but what about Upper control arms? So any ideas on tires and wheels or UCA within a fair budget. Also I'm interested in other setups you guys have. Pictures help!

Thanks,

Nick

Hey Nick!

Here are my thoughts, feel free to take them or leave them.
If you off-road at all you won't want 20" wheels. 16s or 17s will serve you much better. If you won't off-road at all, I would still suggest 18s over 20s. Reason for this, is even onroad having more tire and less wheel helps to soak up bumps.

Are you set on wide tires? With a 33x12.5 there is a chance you'll need a body mount chop. 285/70r17 or 285/75r16 is a nice step up from stock. Usually you can get away running them stock.

Without quite as much width.
Also, you will have no need for new upper control arms.

What kind of driving do you do, I can help suggest tires if you want as well.

Here is a picture of the wheels I just picked up for my dad's 4Runner. 0 offset and should be able to work with either the 33/12.5 or the 285s.
They are 17" vision Manx.
ImageUploadedByAG Free1479920564.320826.jpg

Cheers

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
103 Posts

Hey Matt
Yeah im into the wider tires but, I just realized that 20 is a bit much and not practical for me. Haha. 17 or 18 will work fine! I got caught up on the moment. And I do go offroad 2-3 times a month. Nothing to hard but she does get muddy. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,390 Posts

Hey Matt
Yeah im into the wider tires but, I just realized that 20 is a bit much and not practical for me. Haha. 17 or 18 will work fine! I got caught up on the moment. And I do go offroad 2-3 times a month. Nothing to hard but she does get muddy. Thanks!

I would take 17"s out of those two. Try look better, tires are cheaper, and will give you a bit more rubber, so better off-road. You can still get 33x12.5 for 17" wheels. Are you lifted? They might take some work to fit if you aren't. Sounds like a AT/MT hybrid tire is what you'll want.

·
Registered
84 Posts
which beadlock rims are the most recomendable for off road, specially for sand dunes (so i think lighters) ???

i have been seeing method true beadlocks, but they have 0 offset, i want to go wider...

so what do u recommend? some rims , true headlock, 17x8.5 with negative offset?
thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #287
I recently bought some level 8 mk6 17x9 with -12 offset from discounttire direct's black friday sale for some 285/70/17s i have on my stocks. Did you need to bmc? Or just removed the mudflaps?

I would start with the mudflap and go from there. Because its such a wide wheel I think your going to need to chop the body mount a bit as well.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #288
which beadlock rims are the most recomendable for off road, specially for sand dunes (so i think lighters) ???

i have been seeing method true beadlocks, but they have 0 offset, i want to go wider...

so what do u recommend? some rims , true headlock, 17x8.5 with negative offset?
thanks guys!
https://www.omfperformance.com/beadlocked_wheels.php
Check out OMF performance. I haven't bought anything through them but I've drooled over a lot of their Toyota beadlocks for a number of years now. I just cant justify having beadlocks myself.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,850 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had the 17x9 with -12 offset level 8 mk6 installed with my 285-70-17 fierce attitudes.

They rubbed bigtime! I took off the mudflaps and they stilled rubbed at the body mounts at full turns. Oh well I guess I really have to chop!

Now I need to find somebody in the chicagoland area to do the bmc.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Wheels: SCS F5 16x8. 3.5BS -25 offset
Tires: Hankook Dynapro MT 295/75
Suspension: stock 4wd
Modification: BMC, remove fender liner and hammer lower seams. Adjust caster with UCA might do the trick

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
So I'm curious years later did you ever run this combination on stock wheels to see if it would fit as is or with a minimal 3-inch lift? This is the combination I'm considering?

So does this mean I can run 295/75R17 Nittos on my stock FJ wheels without any kind of lift?
I think a leveling kit at minumum to fit those, but otherwise they fit on the stock wheels and don't rub the stock UCA's or the body mount for most people.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
So I'm curious years later did you ever run this combination on stock wheels to see if it would fit as is or with a minimal 3-inch lift? This is the combination I'm considering?
Pretty sure tires aren't made in that size. Did you want 295/70/17?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes you are correct.. Has this been confirmed by anyone?
295/70/17 ? Aka 33's
With a 3in lift with no other mods? Will this work?

Pretty sure tires aren't made in that size. Did you want 295/70/17?

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
295/70/17 ? Aka 33's

Cannot confirm but I'd think you'll be very close to rubbing your UCAs and hitting the Body Mounts if not rubbing them. Your looking at ~11.6" wide tire. I barely had 1/8-1/4" space between my tire and UCA with 285s and yours would be about 1/2" wider.

You'd have to go with a wheel with different back spacing and or offsets to try and get the wheel away. Or add spacers and that will definitely push you into the Body Mounts.
But a BMC takes all of 10 mins to do with the tires off.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wow! Good info man..I actually like and want to keep the stock rims So realistically with a bmc and 3in lift and maybe wheel spacers what max size tire would I be able to clear?
What should I expect to pay for a bmc and wheel spacers Installed?
And finally with a 3 inch lift ONLY, are 33" nitto's not an option in any scenario ?

295/70/17 ? Aka 33's

Cannot confirm but I'd think you'll be very close to rubbing your UCAs and hitting the Body Mounts if not rubbing them. Your looking at ~11.6" wide tire. I barely had 1/8-1/4" space between my tire and UCA with 285s and yours would be about 1/2" wider.

You'd have to go with a wheel with different back spacing and or offsets to try and get the wheel away. Or add spacers and that will definitely push you into the Body Mounts.
But a BMC takes all of 10 mins to do with the tires off.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Wow! Good info man..I actually like and want to keep the stock rims So realistically with a bmc and 3in lift and maybe wheel spacers what max size tire would I be able to clear?
And finally with a 3 inch lift ONLY, are 33" nitto's not an option in any scenario ?
I have 305/70/17 (34's) on stock wheels and lifted with BMC. Doesn't rub when off-road but does rub the UCA's at full turn lightly because of stock wheel offset. If I get wheel spacers it will come closer to rubbing the body mount, but i think I will still be ok. To answer your question, 34's are the largest you can go with only a BMC and wheel spacers for the stock wheels.

Also look into 285/75/17 if you want a tall tire that is easy to fit because it's fairly narrow.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Cool man, do you have a 3" lift? I would like to go with 305 70 17 on stock wheels if possible. Really like the wider 305 look.. What size spacers do you think you are going to try to run to sit between the UCA and The BMC?
Can I see a pic of your current setup?
I have 305/70/17 (34's) on stock wheels and lifted with BMC. Doesn't rub when off-road but does rub the UCA's at full turn lightly because of stock wheel offset. If I get wheel spacers it will come closer to rubbing the body mount, but i think I will still be ok. To answer your question, 34's are the largest you can go with only a BMC and wheel spacers for the stock wheels.

Also look into 285/75/17 if you want a tall tire that is easy to fit because it's fairly narrow.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Cool man, do you have a 3" lift? I would like to go with 305 70 17 on stock wheels if possible. Really like the wider 305 look.. What size spacers do you think you are going to try to run to sit between the UCA and The BMC?
Can I see a pic of your current setup?
I have 2.75" lift. But lift doesn't matter if you are planning to take it offroad. The tire still travels the same path up and down as it does stock if you know what I mean.

I'm gonna get 1.25" spidertrax or probably different wheels that mimic 1.25" outset over stock. Lots of pics! Try first page of my build for some, otherwise here: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/member-build-ups/457442-iconics-partial-blue-build-7.html#post7485809, and here: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/toyota-fj-cruiser-news/606713-rig-month-january-2017-iconic_.html

The 305/70-17's I have are the Wrangler MT/R's and they are very aggressive but very good in the mud and offroad. Overkill for most people. There are not a lot of tires made in that size or 285/75/17 for that matter. I would look into the new Nitto Ridge Grapplers as they are 33.9" tall and mine are 34.1" tall. They will be a tad easier to fit and still come in the 305 size you are looking for.

I used to have 285/70/17 Duratracs and those didn't rub anything even without a BMC. That size is a safe bet.

281 - 300 of 335 Posts